[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: EbelAngel  
Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Computer crash (bis)
Computer crash (bis)
EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 25/April/2009, 1:17 PM | Message # 1
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Well,

for those that remember , i only had since recently a new computer after my last one crashed a few months ago.

The impossible thing happened yesterday. My new one crash aswell after only having it for 4 weeks (sic!).
Tried to determine what was wrong by elimiation. Seems the motherboard or bios is the issue.
So I'll ship it back on monday to where it came from. Meanwhile untill its been repaired or i get a new one replaced, i'm stuck with an old computer i have from a friend.
Unfortunately, i can't plug in my data drives (+ 500 gigs )from my other pc ( and recovey from old one), since this one uses the ata and not the sata connection for hard drives.
So untill i have my computer repaired or a new one, i cant access any of my stuff. ( 20 gigs of cossacks data, programss, ...pff)
On top of it, i only got 30 gig on this pc, so i gotta be carefull what i put on it, so ill guess ill be writing away on dvd& cdroms.
I'ts also an epicly slow computer and i cant even replace my ddr ram to have larger workspace because it still uses ddrI ram and my sets are DDRII .
Getting used to xp after having used vista since the beta came out is somewhat of an adjustment aswell.

So basically :

can't do modding tests cause i have nothing installed. Installing all files would take up half my computers hard drive space.
havent got access to my word doc with stuff for the site, so new content it out of the question for a few weeks
cant upload maps, missions ,scenario's , mods, ...cause i cant access them atm

The only light in this, is that the data is not irrevocably lost.

I guess I'll just ago along the way and see what come's at me. cry

CichorDate: Saturday, 25/April/2009, 1:52 PM | Message # 2
Earl
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
20 gigs of cossacks data, programss

... Wow. Take breath. I check and I have only 5 gb data. Cossacks with: Imperia, HH, OC, files with my own modification and programs, recorded and saved games, maps.
What you have on that disc?

I apologize for my english.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.kozacy.org/
http://forum.kozacy.org/

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 25/April/2009, 2:07 PM | Message # 3
Site Administrator
Quote (Cichor)
What you have on that disc?

Well, about everything i gathered from cossacks troughout the years i have been playing it, countless maps and scenario's, a few hundred word documents, pdf files, all cossacks games, all ac games, C II, all gsc files extracted, mod tools, mods, mod tests, in game screen shots, autorecords, customized interfaces,... and many more things ...

Captain_RiposteDate: Sunday, 26/April/2009, 0:03 AM | Message # 4
Knight
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
Ouch, that's rough.

I hope you can recover your mods, that would be terrible to have to lose all that hard work. wacko I can sort of sympathize since I am working out computer issues, too, but not nearly as serious as yours.

Wouldn't we all be better if we just nocomp ? Lol.

"Truth is truth to the end of reckoning."---William Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" V.I.45

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 27/April/2009, 11:22 AM | Message # 5
Site Administrator
Quote (Captain_Riposte)
I hope you can recover your mods, that would be terrible to have to lose all that hard work

Funny enough, im not so much bothered if I woulda lost a few mods, iI can always remake them in time, what would be much worse is loosing the information on how to mod for example, or the raw data,... luckily I placed a lot of stuff already on the site, but thats like only 140 pages out of 350 that were prepared, so if only my computer had crashed next month biggrin

Oh well....

Captain_RiposteDate: Sunday, 10/May/2009, 0:01 AM | Message # 6
Knight
Any updates on the computer situation?

"Truth is truth to the end of reckoning."---William Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" V.I.45

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 11/May/2009, 8:38 PM | Message # 7
Site Administrator
Hi,

passed by the shop where I brought my computer back to, but its still in the factory they said. Still waiting....

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 21/May/2009, 11:57 AM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Bad news arrived yesterday.

The computer needs to be replaced. I'll normally have the new one on monday. Meaning all my data on the computer is gone aswell. I specifically asked if they could recover my data, but since its not hardware they dont do that stuff. Really disgusting. Ill never buy another off the rack computer. They are all the same these companies, whether it is socks, pc's or games they sell. I hope the next economical crisis is bad enough to take that hole unethical system down.

So, we'll just go along the way, restart everything needed, try recovering stuff trough some friends, tackling whatever comes at me first.

The worst thing are all the scenario's and maps that are lost and some very nice autorecords that date back to my old days of cossacks.

Pffff, really demotivated atm.

Could use help.

Captain_RiposteDate: Tuesday, 26/May/2009, 6:17 AM | Message # 9
Knight
I have a friend who works on computers professionally and I think he recently told me that companies that don't recover data are lazy; it is often doable, and they should always try.

Haven't been here n a while, and probably won't be often for a while. My life is rather hectic lately as I'm moving. I will be settled after June 15.

EDIT: Hehe, this is a relief: I have wi-fi access in the condo until I move into the house.

Message edited by Captain_Riposte - Wednesday, 27/May/2009, 9:58 PM

Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Computer crash (bis)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: