• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: EbelAngel  
Forum » General Talk » General Chat » The Ghost of Ftoomsh Past
The Ghost of Ftoomsh Past
FtoomshDate: Saturday, 13/June/2015, 11:45 PM | Message # 1
Count
Group: Modders
Awards: 0
Hi folks, I am back again to haunt you! Just kidding. smile I have already posted a bit about C3. I just hope it is not a cruel April Fool's joke to get my hopes up.

I just thought I would update you on what I have been doing RTS-wise. Mostly, for the last 6 months I have been playing Supreme Commander on FAF (Forged Alliance Forever). I did not play much of any RTS last year (2014). There was nobody left to play OC Mod against.

Recently, my computer hard-drive died and I lost a lot of files. I thought I had them backed up twice, once on a thumb-drive and once on my son's PC hard-drive. But the thumb-drive is lost and my son wiped my backups off his PC without consulting me. (Sob.) To cut a long story short I lost all my mod files for OC Mod. I had modded it further than Davout took it. Now, I still have ways I could recover all that work but they are a little tricky and time-consuming, Clearly, with no community left for OC mod that is not worth doing.

So, the possible arrival of a mod-able C3 based (mostly it seems) on C1 means I can wait for C3. It will have a new engine with better graphics and physics so that is a very good thing.

At the moment I am in a holding pattern RTS-wise. I can't play Supreme Commander on this temporary PC for certain technical and non-technical reasons. I will need to upgrade this or get a new PC, especially to try C3 when it comes out. Is C3 likely to be out by Xmas do people think?

Anyway, I hope C3 is good. At 61 I reckon I only have 5 or maybe 10 reasonably competitive RTS years left. You know, I mean while my sight is still OK and my fingers not too arthritic or something. So this C3 better be the goods or mod-able into the goods that's all I can say!

Anybody currently RTS gaming and/or modding now and in which games?

Cheers.

DaddioDate: Sunday, 14/June/2015, 0:45 AM | Message # 2
Marquis
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
Ftoomsh, I still have your game on my pc.

I am sure you had a lot more work on it since we played. But I can get you back to that point if you are interested?

Note: you might want to get that new PC now. The beta testing should be starting sometime within the next 2 - 4 months I would guess.

The latest information we have is that the game will be out by 4th quarter of this year available only on steam.

Daddio

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

FtoomshDate: Sunday, 14/June/2015, 2:26 AM | Message # 3
Count
Group: Modders
Awards: 0
Daddio, great to hear from you. That is interesting about you still having the game mod that I did. I still have it on the cloud but my version has an unresolved bug with Turkey's Bedouin shot upgrades in the 18th C. Your version might not have that bug but might lack other updates.

However, at this stage just hang on to it if possible please. I don't really propose to continue with my mod of Davout's mod of C1 at this stage. It now seems that playing and modding C3 when it comes out will be much more rewarding. Better game engine and all that.

I have posted some suggestions here. I have also posted some succinct suggestions on the GSC Forums about (a) user-control features and (b) navies. The user-control suggestion even contains ideas on a blended control system that would keep C1 and C2 players happy I believe.

It will be really important to get certain game features right if they envisage armies in the 8,000 to 10,000 range. Basically what is required is bigger maps, bigger formations, formations into armies and less micro of individual squads when army numbers get large. I hope they realise all that.

I am far from the world's greatest RTS player but one thing I have done is play more forms of RTS than many people. That means I have many comparative insights (I believe) and one of those insights goes into how large unit number games must differ from small unit number games and how user-control needs a different philosophy and implementation in large unit games.

I could write further on this topic but it's better to keep my powder dry for the moment (and not test the reader's patience).

I will be watching C3 developments with great interest.

Forum » General Talk » General Chat » The Ghost of Ftoomsh Past
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: