[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Impossible / Ridiculously hard single player campaigns (Has someone, except the developers ever won them?)
Impossible / Ridiculously hard single player campaigns
Johny_JKDate: Tuesday, 13/April/2010, 6:13 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
So I finished Saxon and Prussian campaigns in Cossacks The Art of War and continued to Austrian and Polish ones.

In Austrian campaign all was fine until mission Silesia where I have to stop Prussian forces (destroy their howitzers). First of all - they are moving constantly so I have no time to upgrade any of my troops or arty and nothing I have is a match against those powerful Prussian 18th century musketeers. Ok, maybe I don't have to kill them all and just concentrate my arty on their howitzers. But that DOESN'T WORK as my arty too inaccurate to take care of their howitzers in the short time I have. Only option is multi-barreled cannons but I have none and can't delay their troops long enough to build them and send to the battlefield before enemy can reach the end of map (in that case mission is failed).

Then I forgot about it and started Polish campaign. Again all went fine until I got to mission "Cossack wars" where I have to protect 3 pack-horses from enemy Ukrainian Sich Cossacks who try to reach them. This is one of those stupid missions where I have no chance to replenish my troops while enemy ones are spawning constantly. And I said spawning because they have no buildings but some stupid trigger makes them just spawn on the map. I consider the idea itself as a plain stupid and uninteresting to constantly spawn enemies without any logical source like building or their village, camp etc. Impossible to hold them especially those fast Sich Cossacks.

Are those missions really possible to accomplish (without cheating, of course)? Any ideas?

Message edited by Johny_JK - Wednesday, 14/April/2010, 0:44 AM

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 15/April/2010, 7:49 AM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Hi Johny JK,

Quote (Johny_JK)
Are those missions really possible to accomplish (without cheating, of course)? Any ideas?

Yes the missions are possible to win without cheating, it just depends on the various missions how to play them. Some require an unorthodox strategy , others economy focused war economies,...

It's been a while since I played those particular scenario's you mention and as such I don't remember the specific strategies used, but if needed I could have a quick look see to give some advice.

In any case , how long have you been playing Cossacks and how much games have you played roughly ? Mainly to know how detailed I would have to write down general & specific hints on how to play those missions.

Regards

Johny_JKDate: Friday, 07/May/2010, 6:17 PM | Message # 3
Noblemen
Hi EbelAngel! Thanks, for some answer. smile

I have completed all single player part of European Wars and all other campaigns and single missions in The Art of War (including Algerian one as well), except these 2 - Austrian and Polish ones. Some single player random map (skirmish) games versus normal difficulty AI is in my experience too. So basically I know how things work in this game but have no real experience and good mastery of different strategies, I think. In multiplayer I have played only a couple of games with some friends of mine.

I really hope you can give me some hints as I grow tired of failing time and again in those 2 mission scenarios, ha-ha!

Regards

Added (04/May/2010, 0:42 Am)
---------------------------------------------
Ok, I managed to beat the Polish campaign but the Austrian one is still the issue...

Added (07/May/2010, 6:17 PM)
---------------------------------------------
As none has been able to give any useful tips thus far, seems that I'm right about this particular Austrian campaign's mission Silesia being impossible to accomplish on difficulty level harder than Easy! I doubt even developers have managed to beat this one as they just remove majority of your resources while in the same time double the numbers of enemies. Ridiculous!
All other campaigns and missions I accomplished on Normal difficulty except that one mentioned above.

Now I say Bye-bye forever to both European Wars and The Art of War as I can't imagine spending my time anymore with those. 100 single missions on Back to War - here I come! smile

Message edited by Johny_JK - Friday, 07/May/2010, 6:20 PM

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 08/May/2010, 2:21 PM | Message # 4
Site Administrator
I actually waited a bit to ensure you tried hard enough, but since you don't seem to get past this one, I decided to spent some time on this mission for you.

And you'r right, this is one of the thougher nuts to crack. But not impossible or as our friend FlameMaster says: "Impossible is nothing"

I somehow remember this mission and that means I must have had a hard time aswell when I played this mission.

Evidently on "very easy", where you get 100 000 resources of each, it's a piece of cake, so I won't deal with that.

But between "normal, hard & very hard" the resource amount is the same, only a difference in enemy troop size, so the strategy to follow is roughly the same.

Let's start with a couple of general hints & tips:

- At start of the game, press PAUSE to issue early commands.
- At start off the game, set the game speed to a lower level, because that game was made nearly 10 years ago when computers were not so fast as now, and playing such mission on computer of this generation, well, leave's little time to move around.
- At start off the game, delete all walls ( wooden & stone), because they drain any incoming resources from wood & stone and you surely need those. Beside's they aren't attacking the city anyway.
- Because you have 2 nations at your disposal ( Austria and Saxon village on the left) you must pay attention which upgrades you do. Choose carefully.
- Above all, it is essential to get a market up as soon as possible before the other resources ' gold,...) are drained.
- Ensure that you fill up as many mines as soon as possible.
- Try to delay the movement of the enemy with the dragoons that are in the northern part of the map, but don't sent reinforcements from the city there, you need them for the upcoming battle.

Then the game itself:

- PAUSE game
- Set speed to slow
- Delete stone walls (consuming stone)
- Delete wooden walls (consuming wood)
- Delete towers (consuming gold)
- Brake all formations( because when in formation, they stop sometimes and they need to be fast when moving)
- Move the ferry on the right to the shore
In the Saxon Village: ( still on pause)
- set peasants on infinite production from townhall to the stone mine nearby
- 5 of the idle peasants to the nearby coal mine
- the rest of the idle peasants to the mill
On the right-lower part:
- 5 peasants to the gold mine nearby
- 5 peasants to the iron mine nearby
In the main city:
- all idle peasants on wood
- Wood Upgrade in the academy
- Stables: Croats on infinite production-->Rally Point to the left flank
- 18 th barracks: 18th pikes & Pandurs on infinite production--> Rally point to the left flank
- Church: Priests on infinite--> Rally point to the right flank
In the outpost with the barracks
- all idle peasants on wood
- 17th barracks: Roundshiers on infinite production --> Rally Point to the right flank

- Release PAUSE.

- The army in the outpost--> to the right flank
- The army in the main city--> to the left flank, except the cavalry which goes to the right flank. The Cannons and mortars to the left flank ( brake formation aswell or they will get stuck between buildings)

- By now you should have enough wood to build a market. Build it in your main city as soon as possible.

- Put the troops on the island in the ferry

- Upgrade the mill in the saxon village
- Upgrade the first food upgrade in the black smith in the saxon village

- Move the ferry to the main land

- Build a 17th century barracks in the Saxon village and start creating 17th pikes from it.

- Pay attention to your food & gold now. Trade excess wood & stone to what you need.

- Ferry should have arrived, embark troops

- Your armies should be almost in position now.

- On the left flank, set pikes upfront, put them in formation again, in attack mode and on standground. Put your shooters behind it, but NOT in formation. Move the cannons and mortars in position in front of your army.

- On the right flank, move the cannons from the ferry to the hill.Put all the shooters on the hill, but not in formation. Create a new 72 17th pike formation down the hill so the enemy can't get up hill, again in attack mode and on standground. Cavalry slightly behind the pikes to the water to flank the enemy

- By now, the hussar reinforcements should have arrived. You can choose but I would send them to the right flank.

- Keep an eye on resources, ensure you never run out of food. If needed, put more peasants on the mill in the Saxon village.

- Time for a save because the enemy can arrive on the right flank at any time now.

- From this point, I suggest you stop production of troops, because, anything created from now on, will not be in time for the battle and just drains resources.

- Battle Time:

On the right flank, ensure that your pikes are standing still and not moving, let the enemy come in reach of your shooters who are on the hill. Use your cannons to shell the musketeers ( target where they are closest to eachother for maximum damage). The next round of artillery barrage has to be against the mortars. Once you have thinned them out, charge with your cavalry in the flank of the enemy and go straight for the remaining mortars.

By now you will be attacked on the left flank. Again pay attention that your pikes don't run of towards the enemy while your mortars are shooting at the enemy because you may loose your own troops. FOcus with your cannons on the mortars as soon as they are in range.

There, that's pretty much all there is to it, thought it may take a couple of try outs, because if you screw up at some point it gets really though. Especially the right flank is vulnerable. If they brake you there ,consider sending a couple more soldiers from the main city to that flank in the beginning of the game, because the left flank is well supported by the 18th barracks and the additional 17th barracks you build.

One more thing. A screenshot to illustrate what I exactly mean with "right & left" flank. The right flank is the choking point and the left flank is just side of the village:

I hope that somewhat helps. If you don't understand something I wrote, let me know.

Best Regards

[E-BEL]Angel

Johny_JKDate: Saturday, 08/May/2010, 6:09 PM | Message # 5
Noblemen
Thanks a heap, Angel! You really know these things in depth. smile

I could beat all campaigns, all missions on Normal except this Silesia here which I accomplished on Easy and then continued on with Normal difficulty for those following missions afterward.

Majority of the hints I knew and tried by myself but never managed to do it in time as I never thought about setting the game speed to slow. biggrin I haven't tried out it yet because I already uninstalled all Cossacks except Back to War but seems that might change things a lot.

But I have question for you... Do you confirm that my multi-barreled cannon tactic won't work? They are too slow to build and move to be on the battlefield in time, right?

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 08/May/2010, 6:11 PM | Message # 6
Site Administrator
Quote (Johny_JK)
Do you confirm that my multi-barreled cannon tactic won't work? They are too slow to build and move to be on the battlefield in time, right?

Yeah don't bother about the multibarrels or any upgrades for soldiers ,it's all a waste of time and resources.

StalkerDate: Tuesday, 30/November/2010, 1:27 AM | Message # 7
Esquire
Oh, hi, just to mention one of my tactics (not sure if you can use it here tough), you can often draw enemy away from your objectives by sacrificing some of your units, cavalry works best. Just remember that the goal is to loose less men in the diversion that you would loose in a front assault.

It was only after I liked it that I realized that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was actually made by the GSC...

Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Impossible / Ridiculously hard single player campaigns (Has someone, except the developers ever won them?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: