[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Cossacks - European Wars (Mouse freezes on menu screen)
Cossacks - European Wars
nelliebertaDate: Wednesday, 02/May/2012, 9:33 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hello

I have recently downloaded Cossacks - European Wars via Steam but have yet to be able to play it. It only lets me go as far as the menu screen and the mouse won't work. I am running on Windows 7 and have hopefully uploaded my DXdiag.

Can anyone help or advise? Husband has it running on his PC no bother but he has Vista. I have tried changing the compatibility modes and running it as an administrator but to no avail :o(

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks
Attachments: DxDiag.txt (23.3 Kb)

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 03/May/2012, 2:32 PM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Hi,

I had a look at your dxdiag, I dont really see anything wrong with it.

Can I ask which screen resolution you used when starting the game? (1366x768?)

Perhaps try changing the resolution before starting the game , see if that makes any difference.

Also check if all your drivers are up to date. (Trough Windoze Update or from your respective device manufacturers site(s).

For example your graphics driver (Intel) dates back to " Driver Date/Size: 8/25/2010 05:36:00, 6547968 bytes".
Thats almost 2 years old. See if there are any more recent drivers.
(check aswell for your mouse drivers etc...)

Aswell ask on the steam forums, since its a steam version, maybe someone else has had a similar issue.

Regards.

nelliebertaDate: Thursday, 03/May/2012, 2:52 PM | Message # 3
Noblemen
Hiya

Thanks for your response.

Yes, my screen resolution is 1366x768. What would you recommend the best resolution to be and I will try it?

I will also try updating the drivers and see if that work (might leave that one to the other half later on!)

GSC got back to me with a question I don't understand - they asked (word for word) "Did you notebook has discret videocard?" and when I questioned what they meant they said google it. Really helpful! I have googled it and assume they mean "discrete video card" but I don't know if I have. Can you tell from my DXDiag? Does it make a difference to the game?

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to computers - if it doesn't just work then I haven't got a clue!

Regards

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 03/May/2012, 9:43 PM | Message # 4
Site Administrator
Try any resolution, though i doubt it will help, but you never know.

As to the video card question, from what I can read in the dxdiag it looks like an "Name: NVIDIA GeForce 310M" . Perhaps check the nvidia site to check if there are new drivers available for your card.

When you contacted GSC, did you attach your dxdiag aswell. They are in a far better position than me to actually determine what goes wrong for you, its just English isnt their native language so there might be some language barrier.

What they mean with 'discrete video card' is that it is a separate video card , as opposed to an inbuild videocard (' integrated' videocard) in the motherboard, where the latter has more problems with playing cossacks.

You could reply to them that you have an Nvida GeForce310M and that it is a discrete videocard. I dont know all the details of the different videocards and which ones work or dont work, so as I said they may know better.

nelliebertaDate: Thursday, 03/May/2012, 9:48 PM | Message # 5
Noblemen
Hiya

Have tried all resolutions but didn't work. I have emailed GSC back with the details of the Videocard (was tempted to tell them to "google it" ;o)) and currently waiting for a reply. I think I now have the most up to date laptop in the world!

I will post back here if I get anywhere with it.

Thanks for you help so far. I hope I get a fix for it as I've always enjoyed this game.

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 03/May/2012, 9:55 PM | Message # 6
Site Administrator
Quote (nellieberta)
I will post back here if I get anywhere with it.

Allright, let me know what GSC answers you, others may have similar issues.

nelliebertaDate: Saturday, 05/May/2012, 9:02 PM | Message # 7
Noblemen
Getting no-where with GSC. Latest email asked me to :

"1. You can try to update drivers for nVidia GeForce.

2. Try another way: in Nvidia Control Panel turn off technology nVidia Optimus and another way turn on

performance mode in notebook. "

I've lost count how many times I've told them that the drivers are up to date. Neither of number 2 makes sense to me and I can't see any such nVidia Optimus in my NVidia Control panel. It's very frustrating, just want to play the game! Have sent a curt email back to them. Steam have offered to credit the account but I'm not sure if I can trust the system requirements on any other game to run on this laptop :o(

EbelAngelDate: Sunday, 06/May/2012, 10:26 AM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Hi, sorry to hear that this still drags on.

Quote (nellieberta)
Neither of number 2 makes sense to me and I can't see any such nVidia Optimus in my NVidia Control panel.

What they mean with it is that, if you have such option in the nvidia panel, then the Optimus option switches the graphical controller to either the videocard or the cpu, with the purpose of saving power. Ofcourse you dont want the latter but you want it to use the videocard. The other suggestions is related to this, by turning on performance mode, you would use more power for your graphics card, you could check this in the power plans (EnergyManagment), which i believe is under the configuration panel.

If neither of these 2 is applicable to you, then let them know so. As far as I can see they are trying to narrow down the problem, which may or may not take some more questions-suggestions.
There are so many variables and without actually seeing the notebook in front of you it can be quite hard to determine what is going wrong for you.

spoungecakeDate: Wednesday, 23/January/2013, 5:08 PM | Message # 9
Esquire
I realise this is almost a year on... but me and a freind have just bought european war from Steam. I can play fine but my freind on his laptop has this mouse error..

We have trauled the internet for hours now and have tried patching the game with the ddraw.dll file, changing to every screen/video resolution, running it in different compatability modes... i have officially ran out of solutions to try!

Was there any ever advance to the knowledge around this issue?

spoungecake

MrRivDate: Sunday, 27/January/2013, 11:26 PM | Message # 10
Knight
I've been reading this tread for a bit now.  I have a question for nellieberta and spoungecake.  Have either of you tried a USB mouse or are both of you using the touch pads.  I play this on a laptop, and seem to have occasional problems with the touch pad, so I use an external mouse.

I speak English. Je parle francais. Mowim po polsku. Говорю на русском. Ich spreche Deutsch.

Historian and C/C++/C#, Java, Python, Basic, HTML, XML programmer.

Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Cossacks - European Wars (Mouse freezes on menu screen)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: