Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » High Resolution Crash Bug
High Resolution Crash Bug
COSFANDate: Tuesday, 31/July/2012, 2:01 PM | Message # 1
Esquire
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hello!
When you look at huge armies in 1920x1080 and similiar resolutions units suddenly start flickering (units disappear) and then game crashes with dmcr.exe bug.
Sadly in every Millions 10PT / 5000 20PT 1v1 game you and opponent have actually enough units to produce this bug if armies face each other.
Only solution is to look only at own army and wait for certain number of soldiers to die. Or play in lower resolution (you cant see enough soldiers to cause the bug), but that looks horrible on big screens.
My question is: is there a patch to solve this issue? Or some kind of Russian workaround ? Im pretty sure there are lots of players concerned with this bug.
Does the Steam Version of Cossacks have a fix for this?

Thanks for your answers.

DaddioDate: Thursday, 02/August/2012, 2:16 AM | Message # 2
Marquis
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
I don't think this a bug, more just a limit of your system or possibly the system that your opponent has.

10pt millions is by far the most popular game played in Cossacks, and has been for years. A video driver with some memory will help. But the more recent drivers are hit and miss in the way they function.

I am not familiar with the steam version. But I do not think it will be any better since the problem is not game related.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

COSFANDate: Thursday, 02/August/2012, 3:15 AM | Message # 3
Esquire
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hello!
Im actually very sure this problem is game (code) related.
You can reproduce this bug in editor so its not the opponents system fault. Neither it is my systems fault (triple core, hd 6770), which runs cossacks perfectly fine (60fps) with 5k soldiers on screen.
Start editor in 1920x1080 resolution. Put around 5k soldiers. You can see them all on one screen without scrolling. Sooner or later you will notice this: when you put one more unit on this screen section a tree "disappears". If you put even more soldiers and all trees have disappeared, other soldiers disappear (they are still there but you cant see them).
I think the programmers have somehow bounded the maximum number of units which can be shown in one screen section. If you scroll away (so you do not see all 5k soldiers at once) the units at screen borders reappear etc.
Well if these soldiers do not fight the cossacks engine can handle this fade in/fade out thing without crashing. But if the soldiers fight while some of them disappear/reappear (depending on how many you see) the game will probably crash. As said this way nearly every Mill10Pt/5k20Pt game crashes when both armies line up and I watch the first 1-2 minutes of the fight (with both armies in one screen section).
Compare this thread: http://forum.newlcn.com/viewtopic.php?t=14367 (especially users with postings #8, #9 seem to have the same problem).

Message edited by COSFAN - Thursday, 02/August/2012, 3:22 AM

Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » High Resolution Crash Bug
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: