Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » Cossacks Mod Problem
Cossacks Mod Problem
HabuDate: Tuesday, 14/February/2012, 2:49 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hey guys,
I still have trouble with the Cossacks modification, so it was nice, if any of you could help me.

So I wanted to add a new unit to Algir, the Bashi-Kozouk (as it has already been done by the guys from Imperia).
But I still get an error message, when I try to start Cossacks "Couldn't find name for monster MUALG.MD"

So here is, what I've done so far:

I added the files MUALG.MD, MUALGG.gp, MUALGH.gp, MUALGV.gp and MUALGP.gp to the main directory (in this files, there is the unit and its animations)
Then I added these files to the FILELIST (I just wrote mualg.md, MUALGG.gp, MUALGH.gp, MUALGV.gp and MUALGP.gp)
I added the entry mualg in the NMLIST.TXT
And I added a Name for it in the MDLIST.TXT in the TEXT directory (MUALG.MD Bashi-Kozouk)
I also created a MUALG.MD file in the DESCRIPTION directory and added a description

Then I added the mushketer_al (name of the unit) in the ALGIR.NDS in MEMBERS, FIXEDPRODUCE and ENABLED

But this message is still there, so where is the problem?

Ah and one more thing: I managed for example to get Ukrain a wall, or Turkey and Algir a baloon, because I could add things that are already available in the original game. But I think I have to add another entry anywhere, to get new units (in this case it's from the baddog mod, but when I tried to add the unit from the Imperia mod, the same error occured).

(And why does this thread appear in the American Conquest Forum, although I posted it in Cossacks??? It would be nice, if someone could move it)

Thank you.

Message edited by Habu - Tuesday, 14/February/2012, 3:39 PM

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 14/February/2012, 5:24 PM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Please show those files you have modified. From what I read above you have done everything right but clearly somewhere an error slipped in, otherwise you wouldnt get that error message.

You can pack them in .rar format or attach them to your post here.

Then i'll have a look at them to see whats going wrong.

HabuDate: Wednesday, 15/February/2012, 10:37 AM | Message # 3
Noblemen
OK, so here are all the files I changed.

I took the Icons.gp from the OC Mod, because there the Bashi-Kozouk was already integrated. In the Imperia Mod, two icon files are used, because the dmcr.exe was changed.
I tried to create my own icons.gp file, but when I want to generate the file with Megapack, the icons contain a lot of wrong pixels. And that although I used the right palette for it.
Attachments: Mod_Files.zip (701.0 Kb)

EbelAngelDate: Wednesday, 15/February/2012, 11:11 AM | Message # 4
Site Administrator
Right,

so I had a look at your files.

At first glance everything looks ok, so i generated patch01.Gs1 with those but then i kept getting errors:
MPIE, DRPIE, M2POR, MUVEN, DR2SPA, M2HOL, GPPRU, M2RUS, GURUS, GRRUS, MUFRA, PIFRA,....all defined but in the files but not present in the files you provided me.

So I cant test your files properly on the error with the MUALG. Either only provide me the files which have the MUALG defined or give me all those missing files. But I think i prefer just the ones with MUALG, because it seems you added a lot off units, so many things could go wrong.

Dont try to run before you have learned to walk.

Another thing I have noticed is, if you generate a patch, the files nmlist.txt and mdlist.txt are not named properly in order to generate patch01.gs1 or mods01.gs1

If you look in the ALL.GSC you will noticed that these are located inside the folder named "Text".

Now if you want to generate a patch / mod these files need to go back into that folder.

That means you have to rename those 2 files to TEXT+nmlist.txt and TEXT+mdlist.txt in order to make them appear in that folder and properly overwrite the ALL.GSC files. It is very well possible that this is the cause off your error, because now it would have 2 mdlist and 2 nmlist files and since yours arent in the proper place its still reading the old ones in the ALL.GSC

Now if its just for 2 files, you can rename these manually, if its for more files, you can use a tool to batch rename the prefix for the folder placement. (http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/load/1-1-0-2 , info: http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/index/cossacks_file_renamer/0-176

But what you really should do, is when you extract the ALL.GSC is tick the option "extract as +", then the files automatically have their folder prefix in place and you dont need to worry about making mistakes with this.

I hope that made sense.

Message edited by EbelAngel - Wednesday, 15/February/2012, 11:14 AM

HabuDate: Thursday, 16/February/2012, 11:28 AM | Message # 5
Noblemen
Hi,
well in fact I just didn't click that option when extracting the files, so I used the directories. In my opinion it's easier to handle it.

And sorry for the mistake in the FILELIST. I know what has gone wrong here: When I wasn't able to start Cossacks, I copied all the new files from the OC Mod, to try some things out. So I copied the wrong FILELIST.

Here are the correct files.

And thank you for your help.
Attachments: Cossacks_Mod.zip (7.7 Kb)

Message edited by Habu - Thursday, 16/February/2012, 11:54 AM

EbelAngelDate: Friday, 17/February/2012, 1:06 PM | Message # 6
Site Administrator
Hi,

I had a look at your files again.

What i did was add those files you sent me to those you sent me before.
I changed the name of mdlist.txt to TEXT+mdlist.txt
I generated a patch01.gs1
Added it to the game
And everything works as normal.
See for yourself:
http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/Habu/patch01.rar

As i said in previous post, the error was in the fact that mdlist.txt was not in the proper directory, Text/ in this case and that is exactly what the error was telling you "Couldn't find name for monster MUALG.MD". It couldnt find the name for MUALG.MD , if you look good MUALG.MD is only defined like this in mdlist.txt so the error had to be in that file.

Hope it helps

HabuDate: Friday, 09/March/2012, 6:50 PM | Message # 7
Noblemen
Hi,

but i thought it was no difference whether you edit that file in the TEXT directory, where it is called MDLIST.txt or if you copy it in the main directory and rename it to TEXT+mdlist.txt.

Well thank you for help, now I know what was causing the problem.

But unfortuneatly, there is one more. As you've already mentioned in your blog, you can extract .gp files with GPView and create them with MegaPack. So the extracting works fine, but when I want to create a new .gp file, there are random green, orange and black pixels all over the images.
It happens although I'm using the correct pattern for Cossacks.

So what I did was the following:
I extracted the ICONS.gp from the original Cossacks version and got the .bmp files. They all had the correct colors. But then I started MegaPack, chose the .lst file and the Pattern 0, as you've described, but those strange pixels appear. There's is not one whole color, which is changed to another, for example black to green, these colors appear randomly.

Maybe you've got some experiences in using that application.

Thanks.

Added (09/March/2012, 6:50 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Does really nobody have an idea to fix that graphic problem, it's the only thing left that keeps me away from modding work.

Thank you.

EbelAngelDate: Friday, 09/March/2012, 10:09 PM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/index/0-151

HabuDate: Saturday, 10/March/2012, 2:24 PM | Message # 9
Noblemen
Well EbelAngel,
I did read that page several times to get an idea where the mistake might be, but I did all the steps you described.
As already mentioned, the extracting part works pretty good. I have all icons, the alpha channels an d a .lst file.

I tried to create a proper icons.gp file, but although i followed all the steps, the colours are still mixed up. Because when I looked at the created icons.gp with GP Viewer I could see those mixed up colours, so the creating part does not work.
Maybe it's because I use Windows Vista and so the creating process is influenced or anything like this.

If you extract all the icons from the original icons.gp and create a new icons.gp file containing the same icons, does it work properly?

Thanks for your interest.

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 10/March/2012, 8:39 PM | Message # 10
Site Administrator
"Note:

If you get blury colors then you are using the wrong palette folders. The Gp tool has been modified to mod American Conquest, so in order to see the gp files for cossacks properly you want to change the folders 0 and 1. Simply take them from the Cossacks ALL.GSC and replace them with those in the GpArch or delete the folder 0 & 1 in the gparch and replace them with the folders 0 & 1 from the subfolder "For Cossacks"."

Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » Cossacks Mod Problem
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: