[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Gameplay » Help please! Yet another Win 8 user...
Help please! Yet another Win 8 user...
jsilva89Date: Sunday, 08/December/2013, 8:49 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hello... Ive been a long time fan of cossacks 2, however, ever since I got my new PC last year, I havent been able to play it.  I would intermittently search for fixes over the past few months and finally decided to post my specific issue.

After playing a battle in engine for a few minutes, the game will start to stutter (nothing severe) and crash shortly there after.  I can attach a picture of the afrementioned crash.  Any ideas? sad

http://tinypic.com/r/33ni6hj/5

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 09/December/2013, 4:26 PM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Hi, its hard to be sure by looking at the picture, but the error message says an error in weapon.cpp at line 490.

This is the relevant code from weapon.cpp around line 490:

Code

oid ProcessWeaponSystemEditor(){
  xmlQuote xml;
  ItemChoose=-1;
  if(xml.ReadFromFile("Dialogs\\WeaponSystem.DialogsSystem.xml")){
   DialogsSystem DSS;
   ErrorPager EP;
   DSS.Load(xml,&DSS,&EP);
   SimpleDialog* Desk=DSS.Find("OptionsDesk");
   SimpleDialog* OK=DSS.Find("OK");
   SimpleDialog* CANCEL=DSS.Find("CANCEL");
   if(Desk&&OK&&CANCEL){
    int x0,y0,x1,y1;
    DSS.GetDialogsFrame(x0,y0,x1,y1);
    if(x1>x0){
     DSS.x=(RealLx-x1+x0)/2;
     DSS.y=(RealLy-y1+y0)/2;
     OK->OnUserClick=&MMItemChoose;
     OK->UserParam=1;
     CANCEL->OnUserClick=&MMItemChoose;
     CANCEL->UserParam=1;
     ClassEditor CE;
     CE.CreateFromClass(Desk,0,0,Desk->x1-Desk->x,Desk->y1-Desk->y,&GameWeaponSystem,3,"EmptyBorder");
     do{
      GameWeaponSystem.RefreshEnumerator();
      ProcessMessages();      
      DSS.ProcessDialogs();
      CE.Process();
      DSS.RefreshView();
     }while(ItemChoose==-1);
    }
   }
  }  
}

Which would indicate that its an error with the interface.

I dont have windows 8 yet, so I can't test really and there seem to be very little cossacks players who have it aswell.

Does the error always happen in a similar situation? Or does it seem random?

I noticed its the japanese patch you have?

Is this a steam version? gog version? Original retail version? torrent version?

jsilva89Date: Tuesday, 10/December/2013, 4:27 AM | Message # 3
Noblemen
Thank you for the quick reply, great to know that there are people who still care about this classic game!

As far as your inquiries, thats the odd thing... I noticed it said Japanese in the error as well and that did catch my attention.  My version is the steam version and I live in the United States, where I purchased the game through steam.  I have no idea how or why the game says I have a Japanese patch in that error message.  Also, the crash always seems to happen after a short few minutes of volleying.  I cant recall having finished a skirmish or BFE battle.

As a side note, I cant seem to find Weapon.cpp anywhere in the cossacks directory.

EDIT: Also, in the original error message where the "japanese patch 01" is referenced, I would also add that there is no D:\ drive on my PC.  So that entire D:\Work\Cossacks2_patch01_Japan.... doesnt really exist on my pc. hmmm

Message edited by jsilva89 - Tuesday, 10/December/2013, 4:39 AM

MarshalAndreDate: Tuesday, 10/December/2013, 5:52 AM | Message # 4
Noblemen
Group: Checked
If you purchased the game from Steam then I would recommend asking help from them.  I know that Steam has response issues, but that's where I learned to delete the settings files to get the game to run on my XP comp.  And that was from the forum on Steam, I had a CD copy I purchased from Amazon.  You might also Google the problem, that's how I found my fix on the Steam forum!

Now a question to you, what are your system specs and do you have a dedicated graphics card?  Dedicated graphics cards are almost always the first thing to look at for any sort of game issues.  They can be a pain in the barrels.

Now if only I knew who modified the game to run on 64 bit Windows.

jsilva89Date: Tuesday, 10/December/2013, 11:09 PM | Message # 5
Noblemen
I will most likely try steam support as a last resort, as I don't have too much confidence in them. (have gotten questions before like:"Have you checked to make sure your computer is on?")
I have also most certainly googled the crap out of my specific issue and hit a dead end long ago sad

My sys specs: Win 8 pro 64bit
i7 3770k
8 gb ram
Geforce GTX 770

MarshalDate: Wednesday, 11/December/2013, 4:29 AM | Message # 6
Count
Yeah, I don't have any confidence in their support either.  Have you tried compatibility?  Also, in what game mode does this occur?  If it happens when you play a certain map then that means that map is bugged.  

Another suggestion is that you might actually try contacting Microsoft.  Ask them what the error could be since it concerns one of their products, C++.  Just a suggestion.

Looking at your specs, I can't think of any specific culprit.  Being that the problem involves C++, that sort of discourages the idea of the problem being your GPU.  I mean, it still could be the GPU since it is very new and the drivers might not be up to date to handle the new GPUs in use these days.  I however feel the problem is a programming error.  Could say more but that would be a waist anyways.

Me

1st Prince de Wagram, 1st Duc de Valangin, 1st Sovereign Prince de Neuchatel, Marshal of France, Marshal Louis Alexandre Berthier

jsilva89Date: Wednesday, 11/December/2013, 9:54 PM | Message # 7
Noblemen
Compatibility mode is something i've extensively tried unfortunately :/...  The crash occurs in all game modes, skirmish and campaign battles, across different maps.  As a last ditch effort I put windows XP on my pc using Virtualbox just to see if it could run reliably (it runs at like 5 FPS lol almost unplayable) sad

MarshalAndreDate: Sunday, 15/December/2013, 5:44 AM | Message # 8
Noblemen
Group: Checked
How much RAM and VRAM did you allocate to your VM?  Also, how many cores from your CPU did you allow your VM to use?  If you allow your VM to make the decision for you, then you'll surely experience lag.  I have experienced that myself, lol.

I just remembered, for those who haven't gotten Windows 8 yet, please for the sake of humanity, don't bring upon yourself this curse!  Microsoft doesn't even support Win8!

Me

Message edited by MarshalAndre - Sunday, 15/December/2013, 5:48 AM

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 16/December/2013, 6:08 PM | Message # 9
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Also, less related, but it just hit me that it said patch 1. (version 1.1) , while there is a patch 1.2 available. Its a slightly different engine in it. You never now it doesnt throw up that error. Worth the shot i guess

jsilva89Date: Monday, 16/December/2013, 10:42 PM | Message # 10
Noblemen
MarshalAndre,
The RAM I allocated is sitting at 2048mb.  VRAM doesnt allow me to go any higher than 128MB. For the CPU and cores, ill attach a picture:  
http://tinypic.com/r/optg80/5

So based on that picture, I cannot move the slider to the right as it stays on "1". 

EbelAngel, 
So should I manually download a patch 1.2 and try and overwrite this japanese nonsense? I thought steam would have taken care of patching for me sad

Forum » Cossacks II » Gameplay » Help please! Yet another Win 8 user...
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: