[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Gameplay » Gameplay, change sides (Changing location ?)
Gameplay, change sides
Ali123Date: Friday, 25/April/2014, 4:06 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Checked
Awards: 1
Is it possible at gamestart to start on enemies side ? Should mean, if the game starts and my town is in the upper left corner and enemy is down and right, just change the sides. If possible, how ?

Thanks for information

Ali123

MarshalDate: Friday, 25/April/2014, 7:25 PM | Message # 2
Count
Group: Users
Awards: 0
It is possible in the AC series.  Don't know about Cossacks though.  If you want to know how it's done in AC then ask Stonewall from the Hawks club.

1st Prince de Wagram, 1st Duc de Valangin, 1st Sovereign Prince de Neuchatel, Marshal of France, Marshal Louis Alexandre Berthier

DaddioDate: Saturday, 26/April/2014, 11:46 PM | Message # 3
Marquis
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
The start positions are random, but I agree that some maps seem to place you in the same spot every time.

On a few of my 4 player maps I have assigned a color to a starting position. 

So pick a certain color and you will always get that starting position. 

You can experiment with different colors and see where it lands you?

Happy gaming!

Daddio

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

Ali123Date: Tuesday, 29/April/2014, 8:52 PM | Message # 4
Noblemen
Thanks for your answers. Meanwhile I tested this on 30-35 maps, older and more modern maps. For the most of it it makes not a different which Colors you take, they use always the same sides. Just a few maps can be varied by Colors (5 from 35, all from aiidii).

Meanwhile I Play many years Cossacks I, II, AC,  and all of them, but changing the place to start is as half as good as a new map. Some things will be new, some decisions must be other ...-new stuff to Play.

Bye bye friends in gaming

Ali123

NowyDate: Wednesday, 30/April/2014, 9:00 AM | Message # 5
Marquis
If I remember well C2 NW allow randomly change sides after defeat on skirmish map, but in C2 BFE this option do not work.
The latter game on vaniilla maps always starts from the same location.

Changing starting positions on skirmish mpas would be fine, especially for SP players. Then they can test oposite actions on the same terrain.
Sometimes these option could be more interesting than gameplay on new maps.

Nevertheless this question (starting position) is not main issue in C2 maps.

I prefer maps with more realistic terrain. Ideally it would be when maps could include proper historical locations or provinces with their main characteristic features. These would be more interesting to me and for these players which are interested in historical cases or dilemmas.

Quite fantasy maps with wrong topograhpy even with various statring position do not allow to immerse in more realistic combats from that era.

Message edited by Nowy - Wednesday, 30/April/2014, 9:02 AM

Ali123Date: Wednesday, 07/May/2014, 7:18 PM | Message # 6
Noblemen
Sorry for late answer, private Problems.

@nowy: You´re right in your argumentation but this is very personal. As much I like CS (and BfE, AC, AoE, and many others) so I do have to see the limitations of these games, especially there AIs as SP-lover. You´ll never have the real historic touch you want to. So I like tp play "general", make decisions. does´nt matter for being real historic or fantasy-maps. And sometimes you can have more problems in your match if the map-designer uses the possibilities of brain and editor than the real history.
For example, see Waterloo, Austerlitz, Pyramids... Just the lousy maximum of 2000 men finishes the reality, or what is with a rainshower making cannons and muskets impossible to fire ? Normal in reality, impossible in C2 or BfE.

I am happy enough with well made maps under the restriction of mapmakers fantasy and editors. Now, around 10 years after starting these games (and years after finishing from Company) I must be happy for aiidiis new maps (at time the only one who does) and the old maps. So I was searching for ways to make old maps playable in other way. Meanwhile I tried changing colours with a lot of maps. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.... But to design a good map you will have to handle the editors, to know what AI does, and to understand some PC-tech, and all of these is more important than the real history. That´s my opinion about.

Bye

Ali123

NowyDate: Thursday, 08/May/2014, 9:25 AM | Message # 7
Marquis
I know limitations of these games. Never suggested include super realistic maps or historical perfection.

However correct maps, proper units and combats representations are very welcome.
Therefore I suggested include more realistic features which are doable in these games.

Rainshower, units amounts and other realistic details are not the matter in these guestions.
Mind you that on properly prepared maps even 2000 figurines can represent 20k army. Generally it is only 1 to 10 scale.
Then well chosen scale, good squads organization and correct terrain conditions would be welcome too.

Main issue there lay in correct topographical conditions, units behaviors, proper actions and AI.
More realistic landscape, proper terrain, correct ground elevations, flora elements, buildings, lakes, rivers, streams representations, units deployment and other characteristic elements should include local and historical conditions.

From that point of view maps as like Waterloo, Austerlitz, Pyramids and other in these games look unrealistic.
These maps poorly represent these well known battlegrounds.

Then any starting positions on fantasy maps never allow play in more realistic way.
That's why many players, including me, usually avoid historical battles in C1 or C2.

Nevertheless Cossacks games offer many interesting features. It still could be fine base for mods.

Forum » Cossacks II » Gameplay » Gameplay, change sides (Changing location ?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: