[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » Prevent formation stacking (Suggesting ideas to solve it)
Prevent formation stacking
WheelsDate: Monday, 18/July/2022, 12:14 PM | Message # 1
Esquire
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hi everyone,

I still play this game online (my account is "galaxy") but I'm frequently disappointed by the gameplay. Players always try to bypass complexity by stacking multiple formations, especially cavalry, and use them as they were one. It really sucks to lose a hour or longer skirmish due to a massive blob and the player firing first winning...

How can we give more tactical depth to this otherwise fantastic and unique game? I can think of three solutions:

1) improving the physics engine, so that units/formations should collide and have consistency. This solution seems the hardest to implement, and maybe needs a whole remake...

2) forcing formation distancing. This seems more doable. There are some interesting entries in "EngineSettings.xml", such as the parameter that makes one formation wait the first one to walk away before marching along the road. I have tried to alter something but I was not able to assess any actually change.

3) modding unit/formation selection or commanding. This seems, in theory, the easiest solution, but how could it be done? A first, more radical way could be to make 'appear' only one card (unit or formation) in the bottom menu. The player tries to select more formations (as it is done when one wants to blob them together, or attack with just one click) but only one gets selected effectively. The second, more elegant way, could be to disable orders given to multiple units/formations.

I think that either of those solutions could really slow down this game, making it more even, simulative and less crazy. Cossacks II is one of the best RTSs of all time, but fighting with big numbers of units does not look like napoleonic warfare at all due to ridiculous blob that can make the morale feature not realistic. I released a patch for my clan ("nwc mod") to limit online cavalry usage to realistic numbers (10-20% of the army), but players still stack their formations one on top of another to multiply their effect. I really believe that, for example, solution 3 would force players to play in a much cleaner and believable style. I will be thankful beyond words to anyone who would help me to solve this very annoying issue.

Thanks in advance,

Wheels
(galaxy)

Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » Prevent formation stacking (Suggesting ideas to solve it)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: