• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » GigaPack for C II graphic files
GigaPack for C II graphic files
EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 28/April/2009, 7:59 AM | Message # 1
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
I just got my hands on the gsc tools for the Cossacks II graphics. Been looking for a long time for these tools. smile

I'll upload them later as soon as i figured out how to use them properly.

So far I succeeded in opening certain .g16 and g17 files, however with certain files it gives me an error. So if anyone has more information about these tools pls let me know. It could be this computer aswell...

So finally can use the nice buildings and units from C II.

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 04/May/2009, 10:30 PM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
I have uploaded the tools to the catalogue section and they are available for download.

Regards

EbelAngel

FredDate: Saturday, 16/May/2009, 9:04 AM | Message # 3
Esquire
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
Quote (EbelAngel)
I just got my hands on the gsc tools for the Cossacks II graphics. Been looking for a long time for these tools

EbelAngel, hi!

Thanks for the upload and all your hardwork.

I have Cossacks II Nap Wars installed.

I have downloaded the GigaPack utility and indeed am able to look at .g16 and .g17 files.

Looks like the .g16 and .g17 files have the soldier sprites for the menu items.

Looks like the units themselves are in the UnitsG17 folder. Is this correct?

Is there a way to open the .g2d files in the UnitsG17 folder?

Best Regards
Fred

EbelAngelDate: Sunday, 17/May/2009, 10:21 AM | Message # 4
Site Administrator
Hello there & welcome

Yes, its a bit a mess CII. Some of the units are 2D, others 3D, various formats,....

GigaPack is for the .G16 & .G17 files.

Can't remember now, but either included in the rar, or as a separate download aswell on the file catalogue page, use the Triangulator tool for the gu2d files ( .g2d) & g2.
Triangulator - creates GP2 out of G16, G17, LST files. Press Import Frames to create a GP2 file in the same folder.
Triangulator.exe - For small animated units
TriangulatorTrees.exe- for larger objects (such as trees) (g2d)

Hope that helps.
Haven't had much time to mess around with these tools, been busy last days with a bit of 3D mapping for another game.

Let me know if you need moar help, or if you find anything out.

Regards

Angel

FredDate: Monday, 18/May/2009, 2:39 AM | Message # 5
Esquire
Group: Checked
Quote (EbelAngel)
Hello there & welcome
Yes, its a bit a mess CII. Some of the units are 2D, others 3D, various formats,....
GigaPack is for the .G16 & .G17 files.
Can't remember now, but either included in the rar, or as a separate download aswell on the file catalogue page, use the Triangulator tool for the gu2d files ( .g2d) & g2.
Triangulator - creates GP2 out of G16, G17, LST files. Press Import Frames to create a GP2 file in the same folder.
Triangulator.exe - For small animated units
TriangulatorTrees.exe- for larger objects (such as trees) (g2d)

Angel, hi!

Thanks for the tips.

*I used the TrinagulatorTree.exe to look at the frames for the Austrian drummer ( more than 300 frames for that model.)

*Question is, how can I export those frames to a folder as *bmp files for further editing?

*I have 3DStudioMax and Adobe Photoshop. I would like to get hold of the models and/or the sprites for further editing. But I have been unable to do that so far.

*Any pointers?

Thanks and regards
Fred

Message edited by Fred - Monday, 18/May/2009, 2:40 AM

EbelAngelDate: Monday, 18/May/2009, 9:53 AM | Message # 6
Site Administrator
Hi,

Interesting question.

I was gonna answer if you extract the files, they show up in the folder where you opened the file in .tga format. But thats for Gigapack. Just looked at triangulatortrees, and it extracts the frames in .wlr format. I have no idea what this format is. ( Truevision? )

I doubt simply renaming the extension to .tga or .bmp will work.

If i got it right, what triangulator does is this : that triangulator not transforms it into a file that the engine can use , engine can use the g17 files aswell , but what does the triangulator do , is that it brakes the units into small triangles so that the parts that are the same in several frames are not copied , that way you get alot smaller files, thus able to put more troops.

Also what exactly you want to do with them? Edit them and put them back in CII, or transfer to an other gsc game ( AC,...)?

More questions instead of an answer.

Gonna have to ask around.

wink

Flame_MasterDate: Sunday, 31/May/2009, 7:58 PM | Message # 7
Baron
Group: Users
.wrl format is actually and ironically a 3d file format! But how is it possible that g2d files and gp2 files are converted to 3d? Well the answer lies in the fact that, g2d format is achieved by rendering a 3d model to sprites and then compiling!

EbelAngelDate: Sunday, 31/May/2009, 8:05 PM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Quote (Flame_Master)
But how is it possible that g2d files and gp2 files are converted to 3d? Well the answer lies in the fact that, g2d format is achieved by rendering a 3d model to sprites and then compiling!

Thanks for the reply flame, but i dont think that was the question at hand.

The guy ( Fred) wanted to know : Quote:

Quote (Fred)
*Question is, how can I export those frames to a folder as *bmp files for further editing?

(post #5)
Further if he doesnt tell us what exactly what he want's to do, i doubt we can help him.

anyway

Flame_MasterDate: Sunday, 31/May/2009, 9:02 PM | Message # 9
Baron
Group: Users
Well the thing is, no one has a tool to convert .wrl to .bmp or .tga, one ultimately needs to convert all .wrl files to a single 3d .max or .3ds file and jump to edit it! Then, render that to 2d and use photoshop alpha masked .tga
If you use 3dsmax 2009 like me, some of these steps can be simplified...but I am no 3d expert

Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » GigaPack for C II graphic files
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: