• »
Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Need An Effective Strategy Against My Friend
Need An Effective Strategy Against My Friend
hydroxyDate: Friday, 11/July/2014, 5:20 PM | Message # 1
Knight
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
My friend and I have been playing Cossacks for years. We recently re-purchased it off Steam due to our old copies no longer working with LAN anymore, so Steam was the easiest way to get working LAN battles again.

My friend always uses Poland and he has a highly effective strategy with them. It goes like this:

• Focus on economy in beginning. Get a stables and Winged Hussars out ASAP. Also create some platoons of Pikemen and Musketeers for backup.
  • Focus entirely on creating a huge Winged Hussar army. Keep building economy and increasing population limit to allow for more Winged Hussars.
  • Upgrade to 18th Century. Get rid of Winged Hussars, Pikemen and Musketeers; and slowly replace with Curraisers and 18th Century Dragoons.

Once he gets to this stage he is pretty much ready for an assault which is usually to big for me too defend against.

I've tried many nations but all seem to be unequal to his strong Polish calvalry.

I really need to beat this guy.

So far my best attempt has been using an army of Ukrainian Hetman, I had around 400 and they were good but cost a lot of gold to upkeep and were still susceptible to his 18th Century Dragoons' ranged attack so I didn't win in the end.

Are there any strategies that could help beat him?

Message edited by hydroxy - Friday, 11/July/2014, 5:22 PM

DaddioDate: Friday, 11/July/2014, 11:33 PM | Message # 2
Marquis
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
With his strategy he should be easy to beat?

His Polish build is all wrong.

Are you playing any PT?

Art or no?

Raiding allowed?

Several nations are more powerful than Poland, depending on the PT.

No PT Turkey should be a winner.

30PT Ukraine should be an easy winner.

45pt or more and your power nations would be Prussia, or Denmark, even England is an easy winner against Poland.

Economy of course is the key. Get that right and it should be a cake walk.

What is your basic build order?

Daddio

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

hydroxyDate: Saturday, 12/July/2014, 1:20 AM | Message # 3
Knight
No peace time. Artillery allowed. Raiding allowed.

I usually start with Ukrainian Strelets and Register Cossacks for defence, I focus on creating them fast and keeping my economy growing. I do upgrades for them as much as possible over time. I then focus on creating Hetman for a strong defence.

This all takes time and usually by the time I have a useful size of force he is already too strong with his Hussars, 18th Century Dragoons and Curraisers.

DaddioDate: Sunday, 20/July/2014, 2:33 AM | Message # 4
Marquis
What size map?

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

hydroxyDate: Sunday, 20/July/2014, 4:13 PM | Message # 5
Knight
Either normal or large (2x2)

DaddioDate: Sunday, 20/July/2014, 7:21 PM | Message # 6
Marquis
Well it has been many years since I have played C1, but I played it for a long time before C2 came alone and I still remember a lot of the basics.

If your opponent is building winged hussars then he is wasting a lot of time, and resources. Your best bet is to cripple his economy. 

The Ukraine has the perfect weapon for this with the Sich Cossack. They build fast, and are low cost.

Once you build your first stable place both the Sich, and Register Cossacks on auto build. Once you get to 10 - 15 of the Sich Cossack then go to Register form then on until you need more raiders then make some more Sich as needed.

Avoid battle with the Sich and use them for raiding only. especially early they can be devastating. The goal is to delay his ability to attack in force early in the game. Raid outlying mines, and food, stone, and wood production. 

No other nation can even come close to Ukraine in the 17th century. Even once they break into the 18th there is only a handful capable of matching the firepower of the Serdiuk. Upgrade the firing speed in the academy, then in the barracks do firepower as fast as you can. Then begin the firepower upgrades in the academy, there are four I think. (remember to do the upgrades in the Barracks first on firepower.)

You will need a lot of gold for these, Using the market and rock trick will help you get these much quicker.

Make as many Register Cossacks as you can, BUT do not use them to attack. they are to place in front of your Serdiuk for protection. This is the key to beating anyone. The upgraded Serdiuk is a super weapon. And must be protected at all times. Their weakness is that they have no cold steel capabilitys. So use the Cossack, and mercenary as a shield to protect them. 

I am sure that there is a lot of people more qualified to to give you a better Ukraine build than mine, so please feel free to add.

Hope this helps some,

Get back to us and let us know how you are doing and any problems you still are having.

Happy gaming,

Daddio

hydroxyDate: Tuesday, 22/July/2014, 0:31 AM | Message # 7
Knight
Thanks for all this good advice, I will try this strategy against him.

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 22/July/2014, 8:11 PM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
I think daddio covered most off it, the only thing i miss is, you said artillery allowed. Dont neglect this. You can wipe out entire armies with artillery. Admitted, ukraine hasnt got all the artillery, but a couple of mortars and multibarrels can be very deadly.

Why not upload a recorded game so we can see what goes wrong?

hydroxyDate: Wednesday, 23/July/2014, 0:03 AM | Message # 9
Knight
Quote EbelAngel ()
Why not upload a recorded game so we can see what goes wrong?

Ok, I will try to record a game. So can I record the game within Cossacks or do I need to use a screen recording program like Fraps or Hypercam 2?

EbelAngelDate: Wednesday, 23/July/2014, 1:58 PM | Message # 10
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
just save the .rec file and upload it here in attachment, no need for an external program.

Forum » Cossacks I » GamePlay » Need An Effective Strategy Against My Friend
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: