• »
Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » Ancient Mod - Cossacks I
Ancient Mod - Cossacks I
putinovacDate: Wednesday, 14/April/2010, 3:01 PM | Message # 1
Noblemen
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
I would like to propose an idea of creating an ancient mod, which would take place from c.500 B.C. up to the early days of the Roman Empire (around 1 A.D.). I am proposing this because I have very deep knowledge about the period (military knowledge especially) and because some units in the game look like a lot to ancient ones (ex. the mercenary archer is almost identical to the persian archer of the greco-persian wars, the russian 17th c. pikemen looks like pretty much to the light-armed spartan hoplites, when they are red of course, the roundshier looks like to a roman legionary from the northern provinces, while the galley look like to triremes.) I think that such mod could be great. Here is a faction (all of them might not included) list of such potential mod.

Greek factions
Sparta (Hoplites, Perioikoi, Helots, Cretan Archers-practically unbeatable infantry) cool
Macedon (Macedonian phallangists, companion cavalry, various auxilliaries)
Athens (superb navy, strong marines, Peltasts, solid infantry)
Thebes (Sacred Band)
Corinth (a typical greek faction)
Syracuse (a powerful city-state)
Seleucid Empire (Various units, ex. silvershields, war chariots, elephants)

Western Factions
Rome (Legionaries, Hastati, Velites, Auxillia, republican soldiers)
Carthage (elephants, superb cavalry, iberian mercenaries, strong navy,suspect infantry)

Eastern Factions
Persia (sparabara, immortals, war elephants, horse archers, hellenic mercenaries,chariots,light infantry etc.)
Egypt (egyptian infantry, ptolemaic soldiers, nubian mercenaries)
India (war elephants, other units...)

Barbarian factions
Gauls
Goths (they appeared somewhat later, but still an interesting faction)
Thracians
Illyrians

Just an idea

Opinions...? smile

CichorDate: Wednesday, 14/April/2010, 5:51 PM | Message # 2
Earl
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
Years ago few people try to create similar mod but to AC. On screens I saw units (or models of units) from Age of Empire I and II.

Special units for each of nation you can take from Rome: Total War ;].

In my opinion, you should put Seleucid Empire in Eastern Factions.

Rome is difficult nation. In history of this country we see few reforms of army. Do you foresee the division into several periods?

The mod will run on C:BtW 1.35? Imperia? Baddog mod?

What about buildings and siege machines?

Idea is good but where you find units models? From AoE? Create new?

I apologize for my english.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.kozacy.org/
http://forum.kozacy.org/

putinovacDate: Wednesday, 14/April/2010, 9:43 PM | Message # 3
Noblemen
In my opinion, you should put Seleucid Empire in Eastern Factions.

Yes you are right just put it to the greek due to its origin...

What about buildings and siege machines?

In the game Rise of Nations there are several ancient buildings and siege machines, so I was thinking if it could be transfered...This also counts for the naval vessels

Rome is difficult nation. In history of this country we see few reforms of army. Do you foresee the division into several periods?

I was not thinking about a division in separate periods. I was thinking to make the roman units to look like more like they were in the years between the Marian reforms and the end of the republic. I know its a bit anachronistic, but this was Rome at its peak.

Special units for each of nation you can take from Rome: Total War ;]

Yes I love the units from RTW but I like Cossacks I more, it is simpler like a game. There are a ton of units from RTW mods I would like to see if some of them could be transfered.

Years ago few people try to create similar mod but to AC. On screens I saw units (or models of units) from Age of Empire I and II

I will look those from AoE...thanks for the ideas.

I am currently collecting ideas and opinions.

CichorDate: Thursday, 15/April/2010, 0:06 AM | Message # 4
Earl
Look at this screens:
http://www.cossacks.sztab.com/module.php?op=galery&cmd=19

and also
http://p094.ezboard.com/Rome-mo....3.topic

I'm afriad that someone with knowledge about moddeling is necessary.

Quote (putinovac)
I was thinking to make the roman units to look like more like they were in the years between the Marian reforms and the end of the republic. I know its a bit anachronistic, but this was Rome at its peak.

How you want to resolve problem with Romans pilums? Each soldier had two pilums (light and heavy). In Cossacks you don't have limits for ammunition or something similar.

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 15/April/2010, 8:44 AM | Message # 5
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote (putinovac)
I think that such mod could be great

I think it's a good idea aswell. I'm sure if handled well it could be attractive to play.

Quote (putinovac)
In the game Rise of Nations there are several ancient buildings and siege machines, so I was thinking if it could be transfered...This also counts for the naval vessels

Quote (putinovac)
There are a ton of units from RTW mods I would like to see if some of them could be transfered.

This would depend on the format the units/buildings are in and how ready they are to repack to Cossacks format.

And what about gameplay , economy, military strategy: ~ Age of Empire like ~ Cossacks like ~ RTW like ? A mix ?

Are you sure you want to do this on the Cossacks I engine?

Perhaps, as Cichor said, the Imperia Mod engine would be even better suited, but you would need permission from it's creator in order to use it, but nobody seems to get trough to him lately.

Have you considered using the Cossacks II engine? It has more features than the cossacks I engine , it's more customizable, AI is easier to program,....and I could help you with it.

You could also have a look at Alexander, a game build on the Cossacks II engine. It kinda flopped because it was sloppy finished but I am sure it may have a unit or building or two that could used or an idea or something.

In any case, whatever you wanna do, it's gonna be a lot of work. Do you have time for it?

Oberst_FuchsDate: Thursday, 15/April/2010, 5:04 PM | Message # 6
Knight
Hi all,

I am also thinking about to start moding the game Alexander.

But I am not sure to do this for the moment.
My decision depents at availibility of additional units . This units have to have a smoth graphic animations like the original units in the original version.

But where should I take them from ? Thats the question.

The gameplay of Alexander is near cossacksI , even on the cossacksII engine.

The targets of this Mod are. 1. Add new nations (2-4) and additional units (12-24) 2. Modify the gameplay simular to cossacks I. 3. Balance between the nations.

CichorDate: Friday, 16/April/2010, 8:46 PM | Message # 7
Earl
In my opinion is simpler do new units models for C1 than Alexander. But if you want Oberst_Fuchs gain experience why you not try with mod to C1 first?

Putinovac, I can declare my help if you will use C1 or Imperia engine.

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 17/April/2010, 10:29 AM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote (Oberst_Fuchs)
I am also thinking about to start moding the game Alexander.

But I am not sure to do this for the moment.

Sounds like a good idea at first, interesting period in time. However, are you sure there is still a fan base left for this game? I mean I never found a decent fan site for Alexander and the official forums at ubisuck have been taken down quite a while ago. I wonder if its 'worth' modding for.

Quote (Oberst_Fuchs)
My decision depents at availibility of additional units . This units have to have a smoth graphic animations like the original units in the original version.

But where should I take them from ?

Isn't there quite a lot of buildings and stuff ingame in the editor available that hasn't been designated to the present nations already? I'm sure you could mix and match an additionial nation out of those. For the rest ,not sure, if you look at most other games, the units look ugly compared to those from gsc.
Also pay attention, if you import units from another game into Alexander, remind that the publisher is Ubisoft and as such they may cause 'problems'. Getting permission from them to make a mod for alexander is very unlikely. I'm sure GSC wouldn't mind though.
Perhaps GSC still has models left over from Alexander. Maybe its worth asking them if they got anything left that may or may not be usefull.

Quote (Cichor)
In my opinion is simpler do new units models for C1 than Alexander.

Not sure, because Alexander runs on the engine.exe and that one can handle 3D format aswell, which means you can directly export a created 3D model without having to render it to 2D frames and then script it trough the md files to get it in game like in CI/AC. It probably goes faster then getting units in CI.

Quote (Cichor)
But if you want Oberst_Fuchs gain experience why you not try with mod to C1 first?

I think our friend here already gained some experience with modding when he created a mod for American Conquest. biggrin

Regards

[E-BEL]Angel

putinovacDate: Sunday, 18/April/2010, 1:25 PM | Message # 9
Noblemen
Hello

Putinovac, I can declare my help if you will use C1 or Imperia engine

Thanks I am thinking to use the Imperia engine, I think that is the most suitable.

How you want to resolve problem with Romans pilums? Each soldier had two pilums (light and heavy). In Cossacks you don't have limits for ammunition or something similar.

I was not thinking tomake the legionaries to have two pilums. I know its a bit unrealistic but in Cossacks I don't think that such thing could be possible. I was thinking to use the Late Republic Romans such those Balcks figures - Legio However I am not whether they could be transferred to Cossacks.

Have you considered using the Cossacks II engine? It has more features than the cossacks I engine , it's more customizable, AI is easier to program,....and I could help you with it.

Is it more customizable, it would not be bad I would be positive on such project, the only problem is that I don't know if we could make sea battles.

CichorDate: Monday, 19/April/2010, 12:53 PM | Message # 10
Earl
Quote (EbelAngel)

I think our friend here already gained some experience with modding when he created a mod for American Conquest. biggrin

Mea culpa. My apologies.

Quote (putinovac)

I was not thinking tomake the legionaries to have two pilums. I know its a bit unrealistic but in Cossacks I don't think that such thing could be possible.

I probably have a solution. Legionares will have pilums but ... pilum will be weak and have short range.

Quote (putinovac)

I was thinking to use the Late Republic Romans such those Balcks figures - Legio However I am not whether they could be transferred to Cossacks.

I also have no idea.

Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » Ancient Mod - Cossacks I
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: