• »
Forum moderator: Daddio, Cichor  
Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » I'm Creating a New Mod
I'm Creating a New Mod
hydroxyDate: Wednesday, 27/January/2010, 5:27 PM | Message # 1
Knight
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
I've started creating a mod for Cossacks 1, I'm documenting my progress at http://cossacksmodproject.blogspot.com
My aim is to change the game dynamic to give it a completely different feel than the original game.
This may include totally changing the technology tree, reducing the number of nations, altering AI, and so on...
I was wondering if I could get some help with some aspects of modding, particularly AI elements. Could you help?

Message edited by hydroxy - Saturday, 30/January/2010, 11:19 PM

EbelAngelDate: Wednesday, 27/January/2010, 7:46 PM | Message # 2
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Hello Hydroxy,

Quite funny, I was checking on my site statistics ( transitions) to see if there were any interesting sites linking to my site and I noticed your blog in the list, so visited and added a comment saying if you have questions you should ask so. I return to my site , check my forum and see a post from you. bunny

Anyway, its nice to hear that you have started learning to create a mod for Cossacks I. Can i ask which version it is for? European Wars?

Quote (hydroxy)
I was wondering if I could get some help with some aspects of modding, particularly AI elements. Could you help?

Well, as I said, if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask. As for AI elements. You should get the AI source Pack @ http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/load....1-0-112

With it you can create your own AI.dll files for Cossacks. Essential is that you tell me wich version you work on, because this is for the last version of Cossacks I ( BTW) and as such there may be functions in there that arent compatible with the dmcr engine of the European War version. You will need a version of Visual C++ ( see somewhere on the tools page, there's a link to a free express edition, or get the latest 2010 beta version @ MicroSoft. Explore what is in there, see if it makes any sense to you...

As to actually helping, I'm gonna pass, because I got my own CII mod, the site, my work, my puma to feed,...but feel free to ask questions.

Tell me a bit more about :

Quote (hydroxy)
My aim is to change the game dynamic to give it a completely different feel than the original game.

Kind Regards

[E-BEL]Angel

hydroxyDate: Wednesday, 27/January/2010, 9:25 PM | Message # 3
Knight
Hi, i'm using the Back to War version of the game. I'll keep my blog updated with any developments. I'm sort of new to this so I don't think I'll be able to make any major changes to the game, i'm just thinking of tweaking around with technology trees, maybe altering the nations a bit, and stuff like that just to get me started.

CichorDate: Thursday, 28/January/2010, 6:30 PM | Message # 4
Earl
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
Quote (hydroxy)
i'm just thinking of tweaking around with technology trees

What you mean? More expensive? More efficient? Or maybe vice versa? perhaps new technologies?

I apologize for my english.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.kozacy.org/
http://forum.kozacy.org/

CichorDate: Friday, 29/January/2010, 2:53 PM | Message # 5
Earl
Wow...

Reading your message I am afraid that you will need add new units images. Because as it looks like the work of the peasant, when it is in the skin Musketeer? And vice versa?

It is easier to create a national levy armed with pikes and swords than muskets.

Do you want to create mod which is more realistic? more historical? Or not?

Message edited by Cichor - Friday, 29/January/2010, 2:56 PM

EbelAngelDate: Friday, 29/January/2010, 5:19 PM | Message # 6
Site Administrator
hydroxy,

You got good idea's allright, some of it is surely possible, but other things you mentionned, and as Chichor has said, are very difficult to do. What he means is that for the peasant, currently it has no graphics(animation) with a rifle to turn it into a musketeer. It will be probably easier to turn musketeers in peasants, but then you got a problem that the musketeer doesnt have the animation for collecting resources ( stone mining,...)
So in any case, if you wish to have your peasants to be musketeers you would have to make new graphics, but making just a graphic animation for muskets on the original peasants, is nearly impossible, because you dont have the original 3D model of the peasant ( we only have the 2D graphic animations). If this doesn't make sense , I can explain it better.

As for the rest you suggested, most of the things are possible (new technologies,...)

hydroxyDate: Saturday, 30/January/2010, 1:26 AM | Message # 7
Knight
Alright, I think I might just keep things simple for now and just focus on adding new technologies and stuff.

I've been wondering if there is some sort of instruction manual for modding the game. So far the only information I have seen about modding is on your site in the Cossacks 1 - Modding section, this is helpful, but I feel there is so much more that I don't understand about the game, is there some sort of resource from the game's designers that explains how things work in greater detail?

Message edited by hydroxy - Saturday, 30/January/2010, 1:27 AM

EbelAngelDate: Saturday, 30/January/2010, 2:00 AM | Message # 8
Site Administrator
Quote (hydroxy)
Alright, I think I might just keep things simple for now and just focus on adding new technologies and stuff.

Yes good idea, dont run before you can walk.

Quote (hydroxy)
I've been wondering if there is some sort of instruction manual for modding the game. So far the only information I have seen about modding is on your site in the Cossacks 1 - Modding section, this is helpful, but I feel there is so much more that I don't understand about the game, is there some sort of resource from the game's designers that explains how things work in greater detail?

I know what your going trough. I was there a year ago. The only usefull information I found was on Cossacks Tech Depot. There was a 4 page manual, but only on the use of NDS files. I started off there and expanded on it by learning the hard way to what has become my site. Cossacks Tech Depot has gone offline last year when geocities closed down and as such there is virtually no information on modding cossacks on the net left. There's a few threads here and there, but nothing that puts things toghether.

I must admit, since I'm modding Cossacks II, I haven't updated my CI modding section in a long time. I still got information that I need to upload, but currently I'm archiving everything on my computer, writing it to back up DVD's and uploading it to the server because normally next week I'm switching from Win7 RC to Win 7 release, so don't really got time to write stuff for the site at the moment.

That beeing said, if you have questions, do not hesitate asking, I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Kind Regards

[BiH]AmArDate: Saturday, 30/January/2010, 12:55 PM | Message # 9
Knight
Hi all,
Since www.cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk works i know it and i always have been interested in modding cossacks 1 ,altought i never mentioned it to anyone :P
Anyway as I said i am quite interested and if you need help hydroxy i sure can help you,altought i am just a starter on modding cossacks 1.
I've tried once and failed,so i ll give it a shot again we could make something i guess.
I can't find the register button on your site :/.Where is it ??
Just answer if you need help cause i am interested in the project ?

Message edited by [BiH]AmAr - Saturday, 30/January/2010, 12:58 PM

CichorDate: Saturday, 30/January/2010, 1:13 PM | Message # 10
Earl
Quote (|BiH|AmAr)
I can't find the register button on your site :/.Where is it ??

There is no such a option.

Forum » Cossacks I » Modding » I'm Creating a New Mod
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: