[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Map & Scenario Editing » Napoleonic Wars 3 Player.
Napoleonic Wars 3 Player.
michaelcycle13Date: Tuesday, 03/December/2013, 6:57 AM | Message # 1
Esquire
Group: Users
Awards: 0
So me and my friends have always 1v1'd each other through our LAN network, but we really wanted to try playing with 3 players.

We started all our systems up, joined the same LAN game, but the game wouldn't start. We discovered it had to do with the maps in the game only having 2 home bases. So, we went online and we found this website.

We found the 3+ player map list, so we tried to download the map. It took us an hour to realize that we needed to register for accounts (all of us) in order to download the map. Finally, we downloaded it. Then I ran the .exe that came with it (upon natural reaction). Tried to locate where I thought it would want to install the m3d and txt file. (G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cossacks II Napoleonic Wars\Missions\Skirmish). 
It told me that it failed to install and that if C2 NW was running I should exit it. (Wasn't running)

So, I decided to try and manually transfer these files to the above folder. Still. It doesn't work.

It takes me 2 days to realize that this place has an installer for the maps, so I got excited and downloaded that (tigersoft). I tried my best to make out what Daddio was saying in this post: http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/forum/28-408-1
But it was very difficult to understand (I am a huge computer geek, have been my whole life.) So I tried my best, filled out everything in the installer, then found a problem when the installer wanted me to "create" it somewhere. I referenced back to the guide post, (above link) but found no clarification there. It wanted me to select a .exe file, and so I went to the dmln.exe file and saved it as that. (I made a back-up in case). It saved it there, and then opened a new window where it asked me to save the map (the one I selected earlier.) The guide told me to save it under the Data folder. So I went for it. It refused, I forget what the error was but it didn't work.

I would really like to play 3+ players ANY WAY POSSIBLE. So if someone could help guide me, I promise to make an English friendly video tutorial on how to install the maps you guys have.
Keep in mind my Cossacks is saved under Steam. (Not sure if that's problematic.)

Please, I crave C2 NW 3 player combat.

aiidiiDate: Tuesday, 03/December/2013, 10:22 AM | Message # 2
Count
Group: Checked
Awards: 3
You could always try with manual install.

http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/index/installing_maps/0-243

I drink, therefore I am.

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 03/December/2013, 3:21 PM | Message # 3
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
I assume that the installers cant find the steam directory the game is installed in. Those installers were all made long before GSC decided to publish trough steam.

The source for one of the installers is available if someone wants to point the installer programm to the right directory for steam, i havent got time for it atm.

But for now go with what aiidii says, the manual install. Its a bit tricky at first but once you get it right it isnt too hard. We all had to do it that way before the installers came out. From what I can tell the steam installation lacks a "data\" folder which was the main game directory for the non steam installation.

michaelcycle13Date: Wednesday, 04/December/2013, 7:50 AM | Message # 4
Esquire
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Thanks! I didn't see that forum. Well yesterday (before I saw the manual way) I tried to do it manually myself. I got stuck however at a couple parts where that guide helped me.
ANYWAYS
I went through the entire thing, and it worked!
BUT
When I start the game, I'll get through like literally 10 seconds of it and then it crashes. Whole screen flickers and then C2 is gone and I'm back to my desktop.
So...
Maybe a bug? I'll reinstall C2 and the scenarios anyways. Check back later.

Added (04/December/2013, 7:50 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Okay I figured it out! 100% working and awesome. I am so very happy. 
I ended up having to stop what I was doing and wait for precisely 48 seconds, then move the camera in the game and units. For some reason that didn't cause a crash.

I still plan to make a video tutorial. It's so simpler than it's described.

Forum » Cossacks II » Map & Scenario Editing » Napoleonic Wars 3 Player.
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: