Forum moderator: Daddio, EbelAngel  
Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » Random Map Generator
Random Map Generator
OC_DavoutDate: Saturday, 28/August/2010, 8:21 PM | Message # 11
Knight
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
Quote (|hwk|poppen)
i added you on msn so hopefully we can talk, would be interesting to talk to one of the first cossacks modders.

I was long way from being one of the first. My time was the twilight of C1 and the dawn of C2.

Unfortunately I just do not use MSN anymore. As for modding I have not been near it for 2 years or more now. It is good however to see that someone is still around and this seems a very neat site.

[hwk]poppenDate: Saturday, 28/August/2010, 8:24 PM | Message # 12
The master of Pike and shot
Group: Moderators
Awards: 2
ah i see. i always thought you were one of the first modders of c1, as of now. i know of a few mods going. mine( adding american rev and 1812 to cossacks 2 NW) Angels( her master uber mod lol not sure about many of the details on this ) and gex's ew2 mod

Non progredi est regredi

OC_DavoutDate: Saturday, 28/August/2010, 8:58 PM | Message # 13
Knight
So you are modding C2, I assume that Angels is also? Is Gex still using the AC engine for EW2 or is he moving onto DN or C2?

[hwk]poppenDate: Saturday, 28/August/2010, 9:02 PM | Message # 14
The master of Pike and shot
Awards: 2
yes. me Angels angel areo n C2 NW. gex thought of using c2 or dn. but the problem with dn is that the power of bullets dont drop with distance. but ive got it to its not hard at all, and the HWKS decided against c2 because of map size. and packed formations

Non progredi est regredi

DaddioDate: Sunday, 29/August/2010, 10:04 PM | Message # 15
Marquis
Awards: 4
Earlier you disagreed with one of my old post.

What is it that you disagree with?

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

OC_DavoutDate: Monday, 30/August/2010, 6:03 AM | Message # 16
Knight
Quote (Daddio)
Earlier you disagreed with one of my old post.
What is it that you disagree with?

Lol just being contrite.

Nah I do honestly think that the starting point for a C2 mod should be random maps.

Set maps can look awesome and allow for some nice set designs, but they get overly used and become tedious when you already know the choke points. In my view that wa C2's biggest flaw.

So its good to see that Angel has done a lot of work in that area.

EbelAngelDate: Thursday, 02/September/2010, 1:06 AM | Message # 17
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote (OC_Davout)
Set maps can look awesome and allow for some nice set designs, but they get overly used and become tedious when you already know the choke points. In my view that wa C2's biggest flaw.

Precisely my thought aswell.

Haven't had much time in the past 2 months due to high season at work, but things should get calmer now and I should have more time to focus again on modding a bit.

When it comes to random map generation, a lot is possible with this engine. I dont know how far you went when you started modding Cossacks II, but I found some real niceties that just arent being used and / or can be added.

I surely could use some help, because on my own things go rather slowly.

I read you dont use msn anymore which is a pitty because it allows for a quick and direct discussion of certain aspects of the game.

If you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to share.

Regards

E.A.

DaddioDate: Saturday, 04/September/2010, 8:57 PM | Message # 18
Marquis
I agree with the points you addressed, But random maps take away a key aspect of what I like about the game, and that is the roads.

Without the road system, it simply becomes a different version of C1, and AC.

Roads brought in maneuver, and and other strategic aspects, allowed realistic morale, along with fatigue, and fear from other close breaking units.

To me no roads are a step back.

C2's failings were in the editor, and not allowing fans to make their own maps without a great deal of hassle.

I do have an important question for you Davout though. You had worked on an "Auto fire" option for your mod. This would be a breakthrough for the game.

Were you ever able to git it working?

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

OC_DavoutDate: Saturday, 04/September/2010, 9:32 PM | Message # 19
Knight
Quote (EbelAngel)
Precisely my thought aswell.
Haven't had much time in the past 2 months due to high season at work, but things should get calmer now and I should have more time to focus again on modding a bit.
When it comes to random map generation, a lot is possible with this engine. I dont know how far you went when you started modding Cossacks II, but I found some real niceties that just arent being used and / or can be added.
I surely could use some help, because on my own things go rather slowly.
I read you dont use msn anymore which is a pitty because it allows for a quick and direct discussion of certain aspects of the game.
If you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to share.
Regards
E.A.

I did not look too closely into the engine. I made a few changes to settings in the gameplay variables (allowing autofire etc) and created new 18thC units for France and some for Britain. Then the mishap.

I have been looking at some of the info you have posted and am very impresssed. I have been looking at random map creating and managed to start get a random game screen to fire up, but it seems that I cannot get past a Defeat screen due to lack of townhalls. In about 30 attempts it has dsaid I have won once and the rest defeats. I cannot roam the map to look closely at what is cerated however When I saw the victory message there seemed a large blob (probably TH + peasants) and no enemy blobs, about 4 in 30 I have seen enemy blobs (probably TH + peasants). The rest there was no discernable indication that any starting sprites where drawn.

So the questions:

Is it possible to remove the need for a townhall at start? Maybe setting a timer so that a TH is not required immediately (such as the tinme to build minimal variable on created maps).

I have setup the unit type editor to associate the peasants as a type and the townhalls as a type. This was just in case this was casusing issues. It may be right or it may be wrong. I doubt this is the issue, but not sure.

The final question is why the sprites are not being drawn. Or rather why they are being drawn so sparsely. I at first created the main sprite as FrenchTH + 10 French peasants this drew for me and not the enemy once in about 10 goes giving a immediate victory. The other times a defeats with sporadic enemy draws. I then changed the base sprites to a RheinTH + 10 Rhein peasants. With these always the defeat however I did see the enemy draw on a few occasions. The sprites where drawn for the enemy on a few occasions. Any ideas here?

Added (04/September/2010, 9:32 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Daddio)
I agree with the points you addressed, But random maps take away a key aspect of what I like about the game, and that is the roads.
Without the road system, it simply becomes a different version of C1, and AC.
Roads brought in maneuver, and and other strategic aspects, allowed realistic morale, along with fatigue, and fear from other close breaking units.
To me no roads are a step back.
C2's failings were in the editor, and not allowing fans to make their own maps without a great deal of hassle.
I do have an important question for you Davout though. You had worked on an "Auto fire" option for your mod. This would be a breakthrough for the game.
Were you ever able to git it working?

Lol must have been typing at the same time as you.

It is a good point about the roads. Will have to look at thyat aspect seriously.

As for autofire, yes there is an option for that. It was quite easy to be honest. I will try to find out what the toggle was, but ther 'flaw' with it is that fire always happened at maximum range when 'on'. This means that autofire had little 'worth' other than a mild morale drain for a lot of coal wasted. On the plus side, it was on a toggle so that if you were present you still had full control of the units. ie turn off autofire, wait till enemy is close then turn on autofire and they get a full volley at a more optimal range.

DaddioDate: Saturday, 04/September/2010, 9:51 PM | Message # 20
Marquis
Well I would think that it is possible, simply because the AI will always fire from the "Yellow" zone, unless you have already fired, then it will fire on you from the red zone.

Perhaps it would be as simple as placing the units under the control of the AI?

Of if possible to see haw the AI triggers such actions?

I use the word "simple" to mean a place to look, rather than something I could ever do myself.

Daddio

Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » Random Map Generator
Search: