[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: EbelAngel  
Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
NowyDate: Monday, 25/October/2010, 1:30 PM | Message # 11
Marquis
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Oh, I have not lag in C2 even when I use 3.000 soldiers, and I play this game on my notebook which is more than 5 years old.

May be you should make small tuning for this game on your computer.
Try this way - Cossacks 2 - Battle for Europe\Run\Data\ find log.txt open it and make READ ONLY. It should little bit help with lags.

I can agree that ACFB give you few needed things as like bigger maps, auto fire etc. Nevetheless C2 had better morale, fatigue and stamina efects.
It is so fullish when soldiers in C1 or AC can crossing over map, fighting all the time and never be tired. What is more, there are thousands crowded men fighting and killing thousands which is also so stupid, because people do not want to be killed. Normally they run away, and real soldiers many times fled when their morale was broken, and this factor is better showed in C2.

Soldiers flying from broken formations looks and works better in C2. Formations movement and fight, a specially cavalry charge and melee also looks and works better in C2. However cavalry use wrong tactical formations there and many units are not historically accurate too. Stacked formations, men and horses like gosts passing through friendly formations and many other stupid things and bugs exist in both series of the games. I pointed some of these things in another thread.

I could add here that all graphics things and even units are more detailed in C2 and that could be interesting, but who cares about small details when hundreds men are fighting. Nevertheless numbers it is not a main problem, because number of men acted on battlefield never be enough in these games.

What a really matter 15.000 or 4.000 men in these games? Still it is not half a million combatants how it was in reality at Battle of Lepzig in 1813.
Therefore you can not put scale 1:1 in the game, because you can't get there even 100.000 men. Better include less men and put more formations which could form more complex battle of order. This way you could emagine that there is much more men on battlefield than it is in simple number counting.

I am afraid that any mod do not solve these problems and therefore I asked in the beginning: is it possible that somebody can develop strategy game based on Napoleonic Wars and could it be new Cossacks game or next add-on for C2 BfE?

OC_DavoutDate: Monday, 25/October/2010, 2:07 PM | Message # 12
Knight
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
Quote (|hwk|poppen)
well. for one the lag, and the way no matter what way i packed it. when u select units. its just ugly. map size. couldn't ever figure out the auto fire thing. and another for the fact i can run AC with 15000 troops. no lag. i get lag with 400 to 600 troops in 2. and i have a very limited HD. i got a 60 gig. and tga files for new units take up about 5 gig. when BMP files only take up about 1. Cossacks 2 is a great game. dont get me wrong. its just FB is easyer on me. and the people helping me.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it is a choice thing.

As I have said previously I find the only reason to choose AC over C2 is down to map size, at present, in my oppinion.

I once created a Waterloo map in C2 complete with 22800 troops on it, and played it with only a small amount of lag. I was impressed, and my system is now far more advanced than it was 4 years ago. I suspect that the road system and automated towns are the biggest cause of lag on systems. Remove those and you will have little problems as the game system is barely more than AC that way.

As for autofire you have several options. Keep it as it is. Make the troops fire exactly as in AC or C1. As a 3rd choice you can make it a hybrid where autofire can be toggled on or off. The latter was my preference, but I still got to a point where a little fine tuning was still required for what I wanted from a gameplay point of view, not from a technical issue.

I have not really compared the size of compacted units with those of C2 and AC/c2. I did not notice any obvious bloating of graphics however my HD back in 2007 was still 120gig and I never considered there to be an issue. Currently my system has almost 2tera of HD space.

As for final appearance of units I can discuss that with you. I suspect that it is the method you use for rendering in 3DS max rather than an issue with C2. The units I produced back in 2007 were ok. I was then and alwys would be looking at ways to improve, that is one of the reasons why I took to modding, it was because I was always sure there could be a better alternative.

Anyway as you say it is personal choice. My choice for engines would be C2 over AC/C1 for all aspects apart from map size, and I am sure that that could be overcome with a bit more info/research.

Good luck with the mod.

[hwk]poppenDate: Monday, 25/October/2010, 9:44 PM | Message # 13
The master of Pike and shot
Group: Moderators
Awards: 2
yes. i would love to talk to you about 3d max. from what ive learned from Gex. is that the model itself doest have to be a amazing poly model. it just needs good animation. good textures. and shadows and when u render. it needs to be 4 times ( or 3) times as big as u want it in game. and when u pack it. no matter with giga or mega pack. add a "*" to the end of the file name in the lst file. i always use batch render. its easyer then going camera by camera. my model is in 1 file. all animations. in that same file. lights in all 4 corners. (omni) and a sky light with the lime green plane under it for AC or C1. or the matte material for C2 tga files.

How did u happen to go about it?

Non progredi est regredi

DaddioDate: Tuesday, 26/October/2010, 0:47 AM | Message # 14
Marquis
Awards: 4
Poppen, have you given up on the mod in c2?

I have a map nearly ready but was waiting for some troops and buildings to fill it up.

Should I stop?

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

DaddioDate: Tuesday, 26/October/2010, 0:54 AM | Message # 15
Marquis
Awards: 4
On the subject of lagg.

I don't know the science of the thing, but when I see lots of troops on the field, I do not get excessive lagg until the troops begin to break.

once a formation breaks, the lagg will kick in.

I think that this has to do with what ever is working during this operation.

If you want to get a lagg free (or at least greatly reduced) play in the Arcade mode.

The troop breaking is greatly reduced, and lagg is also.

I have always heard that roads are a big problem, but have never seen a game lagg when going down a road, always after a break, or attack on something like a barracks with lots of troops out side waiting to be formed up.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/Billy_Jo_Patrick/cossacks2_art_03_zpsel8tgwad.jpg

[hwk]poppenDate: Tuesday, 26/October/2010, 1:11 AM | Message # 16
The master of Pike and shot
no the c2 mod is still in the making. just having problems with calvery models for now. so about half my time im working on the 30 years war mod. and the other half is on horse anamations lol.

Non progredi est regredi

IenzoDate: Wednesday, 27/October/2010, 1:00 PM | Message # 17
Viscount
Hehe, that was the reason I don't play C2! Sometimes the lag is so crazy, I just exit by alt-f4.

Update your Cossacks and American Conquest Icons to a more modern look!
Ditch Windows, use Linux and still use the best RTS game in the world Cossacks!

NowyDate: Thursday, 11/November/2010, 12:08 PM | Message # 18
Marquis
Awards: 1
C2 had many problems and what is worse, this game can bore, because game play is too much schematic, tactics are not realistic and units have got many mistakes. Players can find there many silly things while few interesting are not present there. In these condition many different buildings, national units and quite fine road system can not help in this case.

Players usually can find a way how to win this game. Worse that they quickly learn that schematic and unrealistic tactics are the most efficient. Therefore these horrible stacking cavalry formations and grenadiers hand grenades can kill everything on their way to enemy’s base. Nevertheless it also can kill the game. These tactics are efficient, but who wants many times win the game using the same unrealistic tactic, which looks idiotic?

What is more these tactics can not be interesting for players which prefer historically accurate Napoleonic warfare. They can get no satisfaction. If someone try simulate historical tactics and implement more realistic orders of battles in the game, this one probably lost the game.

When players, which like historical based games, do not know or do not use these unrealistic tactics, they also can lose this game and soon go away discouraged. Players which use these unrealistic tactics usually win the game, but soon they have not real competitors.
This way C2 can be bore and fade.

I still like this game however there is a little hope for improvements. I do not understand why GSC can not prepare next patches, make add-on for C2 or develop quite new game based on Napoleonic Wars. Other companies developed so many add-ons for their games, even it were less successfully games than Cossacks.

JokerDate: Sunday, 05/December/2010, 8:50 AM | Message # 19
Esquire
Quote (OC_Davout)
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it is a choice thing.

Hello Davout,

How are you, great to see you're still hanging around Cossacks forums !

Regards,
Johan aka Joker

deli_huseyinDate: Tuesday, 01/March/2011, 0:10 AM | Message # 20
Baron
as I remember shaun baddog was working on a game called renissance war game..I ve sent to him some Ottoman soldier pictures of this period .maybe 7-8 years ago..I think next cossacks should be a renissance war game..someone should make it.. happy

Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
Search: