Forum » General Talk » Site Suggestions & Comments » Strange thing
Strange thing
EbelAngelDate: Monday, 20/February/2012, 4:26 PM | Message # 41
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote (Nowy)
Where is the problem in such case?

I honestly dont know where you see a problem here.

When I set up this site, it never was the intention to create an "active forum". The whole point off this site was to have a place where I could store my files and information about Cossacks, so I could easier share them with other people and to counter the ever increasing dissapearance off certain Cossacks files on the internet.

At first when the site opened, I hadnt even activated the forum module, but soon realized that it would be a useful addition to the site, just in case someone wanted to ask a question.

I spent considerable time explaining things about cossacks ( there are over 300 pages on the main site), spent time organizing it to the best off my abilities. Not having many questions asked in the forum very likely means that what has been explained on those pages is clear and doesnt need more explanation ( Though I'm well aware some sections are unfinished, and it is usually about those you see questions in the forum).

A lot off people just register to download tools, maps or other related files. Another reason could be that, even though this site is set up in English, the English community isnt that large. I can tell from the statistics that the majority off the people come from countries who's native language isnt english. This may hold them back from posting on the forum in a language that isn't theirs.

In my opinion and intention, an active forum as you state it, is not what they site was created for, nor is it a measure off "sucess" or "activity".

Even if just one person logs in per day and downloads a map without making a post in the forum, then its mission complete to me.

But if you have suggestions on how to improve the site,then dont hold back on me...but dont count every 1000 newly registered members and update this thread with it complaining how strange you find it that there is so few activity on the forum compared to the registered users, because quite frankly it wont change a thing.

aiidiiDate: Monday, 20/February/2012, 8:01 PM | Message # 42
Count
Group: Checked
Awards: 3
I use this website and forum as a source for useful info, tips and help. And to check if there are any new skirmish maps available (not much activity on that front I'm sorry to say, but hey, you can't have it all). I'm not here to have long conversations. If I can provide some bits of useful info I have learned here to newly registered users who are looking for help I will, if I can't, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Cheers
aiidii

I drink, therefore I am.

NowyDate: Monday, 20/February/2012, 11:48 PM | Message # 43
Marquis
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Quote (EbelAngel)
In my opinion and intention, an active forum as you state it, is not what they site was created for, nor is it a measure off "sucess" or "activity".

Even if just one person logs in per day and downloads a map without making a post in the forum, then its mission complete to me.

But if you have suggestions on how to improve the site,then dont hold back on me...but dont count every 1000 newly registered members and update this thread with it complaining how strange you find it that there is so few activity on the forum compared to the registered users, because quite frankly it wont change a thing.

It was not my complaining, but it was and still is astonishing that people did not discuss here so active. I can understand that this website was not planned as active forum. However when people talks then they can find some interesting things.

Cossacks games are quite old games and there are not many news. There also modding threads are relatively short. Therefore I was little bit astonished why people did not discuss or did not make more remarks even about these downloaded tools, maps or other related files.

It’s not complain but it could be little bit surprise a specially when you take into account that there were registered so many members.

Comparing members with their activity on this forum makes me wonder where is the problem is such case that people are not so active there. Maybe I used inadequate word ”problem”, but it could be astonishing or strange thing.

It was not my intent to make you worry. Then do not worry be happy.

Message edited by Nowy - Thursday, 01/March/2012, 10:20 AM

CichorDate: Tuesday, 28/February/2012, 1:06 PM | Message # 44
Earl
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4
Nowy, I don't know why and don;t know what you want to reach, but writing about historial accurate in topic where someone want to know about tactics to playing against AI is nonsense. Most of players want to have fun and only have fun. You wrote few posts with your opinion about historical nations, tactics, game defects, units. Nice, but nothing ad rem. In my opinion history is important, and historical accurate is something good, but when someone want to know about tactics in game, then we should writing about it because it is forum about C1.

In my opinion your problem with low activity of members is wrong expectations.

When I looking at your posts I imagine your vision of forum (maybe it is only my imagination): people discuss about history, historical accurate, weakness of games and "what GSC must change".

I apologize for my english.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.kozacy.org/
http://forum.kozacy.org/

Message edited by Cichor - Tuesday, 28/February/2012, 1:14 PM

NowyDate: Tuesday, 28/February/2012, 5:29 PM | Message # 45
Marquis
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Quote (Cichor)
Nowy, I don't know why and don;t know what you want to reach, but writing about historial accurate in topic where someone want to know about tactics to playing against AI is nonsense.

It was not nonsense. If you could read again that thread about tactics against AI, you can find these historical aspects which are normal for historical based game. You also did it yourself few times in that topic.

JM also asked what people prefer in this game. Then it could not be nonsense when someone answered that likes historical methods and want to play in such way in the game which theoretically was historically based.
Quote (Cichor)

Most of players want to have fun and only have fun. You wrote few posts with your opinion about historical nations, tactics, game defects, units. Nice, but nothing ad rem. In my opinion history is important, and historical accurate is something good, but when someone want to know about tactics in game, then we should writing about it because it is forum about C1.

Yes, people want to have fun and I have fun with playing in little bit more historically accurate tactics.

I also cast my remarks about many things in these games.
These could be more fun to play when they could included more historically accurate things.

I always wrote ad rem, but I usually emphasize historical aspects which are clearly clou in historically based games.

Quote (Cichor)
In my opinion your problem with low activity of members is wrong expectations.

It is not my problem. Low activity was discernible, then I found it as little bit strange thing.

I have not any wrong expectation. People can do whatever they whant to do, but it could be strange when 7,000 members had not something more to say about these fine games.

Quote ( Cichor)
When I looking at your posts I imagine your vision of forum (maybe it is only my imagination): people discuss about history, historical accurate, weakness of games and "what GSC must change".

No, it is not my vision of forum.
If people like these games they can talk about these games what they really want.

I prefer historical accuracy, however I am not historical purist.
Nevertheless these aspects are very interesting and therefore I wrote about history which could and should be base for these games.

I cast many weakness as well as some strong things of this games.

Only lovely words about games or only technical support could be bore.
Then I prefer cast some questions, suggestions, wishes and remarks. It could be more interesting and as I can see it is readable.

Did not say "what GSC must change" only express my feelings that they or another good team modders could do something more for these old games. These games and their funs deserve it.

Message edited by Nowy - Sunday, 04/March/2012, 11:16 PM

Forum » General Talk » Site Suggestions & Comments » Strange thing
Search: