Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » @Bzik
@Bzik
EbelAngelDate: Wednesday, 21/December/2011, 11:08 PM | Message # 11
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote (Bzik)
Gigapack error: "Palette file C:\GpArch\12298\agew_1.pal

Make sure that in the option screen you have deleted the line to palette directory: C//GpArch/....
Make sure that in the details tab you have unticked the option "paletted" image.

Look again at the picture in previous post ( GigaPack Settings)
If needed read again the page about converting the building on the main section off the site. You have done this before and got it to work, as I have seen your .g17's already.
This is simply a matter off having forgotten the correct settings.

Quote (Bzik)
next Windows Error "acces Violation at adress 04148... bla bla bla

This is a direct result off previous wrong settings ( palette)

Tell me if it still doesnt work, ill write down details in proper order then ( i was a bit sloppy last time)

BzikDate: Friday, 23/December/2011, 9:15 PM | Message # 12
Baron
Group: Checked
Awards: 0
Ok Angel, at this moment problem solved:)
I'll try to post today more ideas about game.
If you can, tell me more about random map - any good results so far?

Added (23/December/2011, 9:15 PM)
---------------------------------------------
My ideas and free thoughts on warfare and other matters:

WARNINGS - if one run of gold/coal/iron, and same time have units which consume gold/coal/iron there should be some warnig earlier (lets say when 500 resource left), leaving time for proper reaction: buying resource in market, evacuating shooting units from battlefield or taking mercenaries in place far from units which cant mutine.

FORMATIONS - The bigger formation, the higher starting morale points. Implementing from C1 counter of kills for independent units and improving it - if formation is broken and only one pikeman with 10 kills survive, if we add this pikeman to new formation, at start he gives 10 kills to squad experience (maybe morale too?) Adding "Compact Troop"/"Extend Troop" orders for formation.

CANNONS - grouped in batteries with classic formation defence bonuses. During battles they should gather bonuses like other units.

CANNON UPGRADE - "cannon crew excercises" - xx% faster reload.

ARTILLERY COVER - AI creating units which guarding artillery batteries all time. Or maybe we can add some shooting guards to newly created artillery (just like peasant & packhorse?)

GENERALS. New units - very expensive both in creation as in maintain, gives biggest morale bonus and additional experience to formation. Lets say that available only for average and big formations.

SHIPYARD - two different objects - one only for military units and one only for boats. Huge prices, so military shipyard should be rare and valuable object. Could be also defensive fortification with cannons just like C1 Portugal shipyard, so located near town centre protects from bombardment from sea or prevent from disembarking hostile units directly in base area.
There should be also some land counter for Galleys mortars (coastal defence gun? - maybe same object like normal artillery with other name and MD parameters?). At first with same shooting range that Galley have. Range upgrade in academy for both, so player which use this upg gain advantage in coastal defence/attack.
Grouping particular ships into formations (e.g. "line of battle" formation, hence name "Ship Of The Line"). Anyway, whole water topic needs deeper historic research about what nations use what ships.

ARCHERS - lower attack points for flaming arrows. In C1 I decreased it from 100 -> 20 and its looks more realistic. No way that 10 lonely archers can destroy few unguarded buildings in few seconds. So flaming arrows should be used mostly in destroying wooden objects. For brick buildings archers effective only in large formations (200+) and needs long time to destroy whole building. It wil be even better option if they can only set fire in those buldings, not crushing them to the ground (only partial damage - other units can do rest of job). Archers also cannot destroy stone walls or mines.

CHARGE OF RANGED CAVALRY - additional order for shooting cavalry squads. As you know in C1 if musketeers and dragoons clashes they keep distance and shoot to each other. Maybe we can add option to charge on infantry? In C2 there is "fear of horses" and this needs to be used. At first we have to change C1 minimal range of shoot (logically - if dragoons are on horse they can shoot to units underneath while musketeer needs, lets say, one lengths of musket to aim effectively). Basically charge look like this: cavalry is riding inside enemy formation an then fire a salvo. First, even if shooters arent great they are close so that voley is deadly, second they have more HP so they can hold out particular shoots without risk of breaking squad, and third - ah, yes, "fear of horses":)
So in my view, "charge" of shooting cavalry should have this effect in general:
vs shooter squad - davastating
vs swordsman/light infantry squad - flee is matter of time
vs bayonets - almost suicide
vs pikes - suicide
In some cases if enemy squad of melee units is close to break (low morale, squad seriusly depleted) player can calcualte risk of loosing few units and attack that way. Possible that charge itself will crush squad without major fight.
Maybe we can add window just like "sabre attack" in C2 but with rushing horse? I didn yet think more about it, idea came today. Maybe we can do a little switch - in MD add two kind of attack (vistrel + melee), but in real melle have animations of shoot etc, its more technical issue.

FORTRESSES, TOWERS - fixing bug of shooting at own buildings, if opponent is hiding behind them.

ATTACK-DEFENCE DATA / BONUSES - reworked deeply. For example large pikeman formation in stand ground position should be near 100% succesfull against front charge of small cavalry squad, so pike should have bigger defence point advantage over swordsman which in that situation will be slaughtered. On the other hand attack rate of sworsdman should be lot faster than pikeman etc. Also if we succesfully implement C1, other factors like fear of horses needs to be tuned, best if based on real battle facts. Maybe its possible to add additional experience points for crushing enemy squads, not only for kills?

VISION - only officers have max vision range for infantry units, for buildings Towers and Fortresses.

BALOON - first used for war purposes in last years of 18th century. So still available in academy, but veeery expensive upg.

TOWER, FORTRESS - adding posibility to shoot with grapeshot (read about it in other cossacks forum).

FRIENDLY FIRE - implemented from AC. Maybe it should not affect mounted shooters - they shoot above heads of infantry.

PRIESTS - there should be more role for this units. They should heal better (at least 100 healing points in scale of C1), and add good morale bonus. Cost needs to be bigger, both creation and upkeep. Maybe additional church upgrade for faster healing? In that case they will be important strategic units, used in formations/battle places that player care of most. Thinking of limits, maybe 10 priest per country will be suitable? What about adding priests to formations, of course not as units needed to create group. Lets say that smallest formation for them, 72 man, can aquire one priest, 196 - 2 priest, etc, bigger formation - possible more priests in it. If player add priests to formations, he can forget about moving and giving orders to those unit.

17TH/18TH CENTURY UNITS SWITCH – I really like IMPERIA idea about switching old units for new (like 18th century pikeman in place of 17th in barracks). In my C1 mod I wanted to change philosphy of 18th century progress – change it from "rush" upgrade to most important strategic move of game. If we have new units whose on start will be a little weaker than those fully upgraded 17th century, we have to train them fast, so we need lot of resources. Now if player want modern units like grenadiers, he need to calculate if he have big enough resource reserve to create those units and train them. IMO its also feel bit more realistic and logic, that you can train only modern musketeers/pikemans/dragons rather than old fashioned ones.
In C1 mod trials I switched pike and muskets in 17th barracks, and leaved 18th barracks only for building grenadiers or other special unit of that era, IMO it looked really fine. It also add more elbow room for player, because it will be possible to train new musket/greandiers concurrently.
Mixing units/transfer of abilities - another good ideas from Imperia: after 18 th progress, we can add new units to old formations(like 18 th pikemans or dragons to formations of 17 th century), thanks to that all experience and gained bonuses for veteran squads stays.

MERCENARIES VS REGULAR FORCES:
1. Regular Forces - low cost, low/average attack and average morale parameters at start. Beside normal upgrades, they gaining experience (additional attack points) and morale very fast.
2. Mercenaries - high cost, high attack parameters and mostly low morale at start. They gaining morale points very slowly, but experience fast. Simply – they fighting great in favour battlefield conditions, but when outgunned instead of taking ultimate risk, they rather flee.

Additonaly we can create mercenaries subgroups:
a) Light infantry/cavalry: fast recruting, average cost, low morale, easy to beat when outgunned. Example: Algir Light Infantryman, Tatar in Poland.
b) More dangerous forces: high cost, average morale, harder to beat. Example: Swiss Helbardier, Scotish Swordsman
c) Full pros: very high cost, good morale even in hard situations. Example: Dragoon
Its a matter of historic knowledge and balancing unit strength, I will soon cover this topic in details. IMO mercenaries should be core of army, but only in late game, when player is able to build enough efficient economy.
Maybe to ensure that only mighty players can aquire best mercenary forces, we can create some diplo system? So if player reach some level (game points? number of peasants/forces? available amount of gold?), it will be automatic trigger to enable best mercenaries in diplo? Adding some costly upg in academy to enable those merc is easy to do, but it will be top notch gameplay feature if class/economy strenght of player will be deciding factor of what kind of units are available.

ADDING WALLS and PALINGS:) + fixing C1 bug that captain can attack wooden pailing, because with 100+ attack destroy it in second:)
In case of siege, when gates are closed the resources didnt reach storehouse, so its realistic thing - player cant keep stronghold forever, when runs out of resource he need to attack to at least make safe way for packhorses.

HORSE TURN SEQUENCE - I like those circling manouvre of turning horses, its better than old Cossacks magic switch from side to side. If its animation matter, than case is rather lost, but I need to check it.

Another story is deep historic research about units/formations. The bigger diffrence among nations the better. Lot od mods added great value to C1, like HH 17th mod with good historic updates (like tatar and register cossacks units in polish diplo or pandur in Austria). Lot fo research needs to be done, than lot of testing, but final results could be more than great. I can take care of historic matters.

CITY BUILDINGS – I was always annoyed of posibility to build so many Town Centers. IMO there should be only one TC which is most important building in base. Instead of more TC, we can add upgrade which allows to build peasants faster. Lets assume that cost of upg will be equal to cost of additional TC, with time of creation doubled. So at start players/AI need to group some defence forces near TC.
Next strategic buildings limited to one are Market, Church, Academy, Diplo, Palace? Player should build them close to each other, creating kind of city centre which should be easier to protect + easy to navigate in later game.

LIVING PLACES. Housing spaces only in houses and fortresses. Beside small houses, posibility to build tenement houses just like those existing in C2 cities. Those should be build side by side or at least very close to each other. Upgrades for additional living places separately for every building.
If we set 20 living spaces for small house and same time every tenement provide at least 100 it will be more beneficial for player to gather resources and build tenement. Then it should have positive effect on gameplay (more free space on maps, city streets easier to defend - imagine group of canons ready to grapeshot in long tight street – ouuuch:) It will be possible to build tenements around mentioned earlier „City Centre” with only few passes, so it will be easier to defend TC against artillery fire or even grenadiers/archers in case of breach.

If I'm correct there are four types of european tenements in C2. I dont know at this moment what are the chances to implement them as „playable” into game – if process is same as in C1 it shold be easy, we need additional BMP/TGA's? with frames of partial made building (maybe copy/paste from other buildings), and do some graphic changes for tenements of different nations (colour of brick, tiles, some little elements), I think its possible to do in Corel so I can do it with pleasure:)
PS - if its not possible to build them very close, maybe we can add some fences graphic and set parameters as „not to pass”?

BUILDING DURABILITY - all data reworked. No way that town hall has 4500 life points while storehsoue 10000:). Proportional values, so Fortress is for example 65000 and wooden storehouse is weakest with 4500. Also wooden buildings should be easier to destroy than those made of bricks. With no exception for log housue. Additional durability upgrades for each building separately could be also good option. IMO there should be done a little balancing to make difference between grenadiers/archers and artillery power in destroying buildings. The damage power of infantry units should be reduced.

Cheers!

Message edited by Bzik - Friday, 23/December/2011, 9:27 PM

EbelAngelDate: Friday, 23/December/2011, 11:53 PM | Message # 13
Site Administrator
Hi,

If you can, tell me more about random map - any good results so far?

Later, haven't taken time to write anything down on that subject.

First off all,

I think I figured out the national colour problem.
I didnt solve it with the GP+BMP regenerator, though I'm convinced its possible to do with that tool aswell, just need to figure out how, but that can wait a bit for now.

What I did was use that russian Palitra tool(http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/load/1-1-0-1. I forgot it could fix more than one colour at the time. I thought it was just one colour at a time.

Anyway,

See little screencapture I took earlier today. It may be a little bit fast on the playback, but just press pause if it goes too fast.Next time I'll try to remember to set the playback rate a bit slower. (Maybe watch in widescreen for better view)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3HjT18AIgo

So after extraction with GpArch, you load up Palitra, fix the colours, then convert to tga with BmpToTga and then use GigaPack to .g17.

You already know most off the steps in this process, so I'll just quickly describe how to work with Palitra:

- Press on the 1 in the top menu, pick the last option(2). A new screen will open.
- On that screen on the right, choose the top arrow and set to 4. 4 new color pairs will show.
- On the same screen, on the right there is another option, use the arrows and set to 4000.
- Then click on the top left color(pink by default). A new window will open:
- Click on define custom colors>> on the right set to:
R 0 G 60 B 192
- Click on "Add to custom colors". Click on the color in the previous screen, select "OK"
- Select the next colour in the top row and set to:
R 0 G 36 B 148
- Repeat process for the other 2 in the top row:
R 0 G 20 B 108
R 10 G 40 B 106
- Next select the second row and set all 4 to:
R 255 G 0 B 255
- Then select the lower left button, navigate to the extracted GP folder and select the .lst list.
It will instantly start, it's a bit a slow process but its because its redoing it 4 times ( for all the above defined colors).
- When it has finished, the buttons on the bottom row will become active again.The right button on the bottom row is to close, but if you do a lot off these, dont close at this step or you will have to reset the colors again. Just load on the left again with the .lst.
- After the conversion, you will find the "fixed" .bmp's in a "new" folder inside the folder with the extracted .bmp's
- Cut or Copy these fixed bmp's and paste them over the original blue one's. Then delete the 'new' folder (or it will give problems with bmptotga converter in following steps.

Then proceed as you have done before. Convert the bmp's to tga.

Then start up gigapack , in convert options, by default the national color should be set to pink ( R255 G0 B255). All other options as usual ( no gp palette, P3 options, scale:1,...) Convert.
And thats pretty much it.
Screenie off the pike ingame:

Much better looking result than what we had before imo, no more blue leftovers or weird looking hats.

If you have problems with this process let me know, ok?

Then, I looked into the other problem where there was no "charge" animation showing.
Well, if you put them in a formation they do go into charge mode with their pike lowered.

I then looked at the Russian Pike man, but that one doesn't go into charge mode either when its a single unit, it only goes in charge mode when the enemy is close. But it also does charge mode in formation when moving.
So I'm not sure now if the engine doesnt recognize a charge mode for a single unit or there is an additional #ANIMATION or @ANIMATION string needed.
I could test all the @MOTION animations out to see if it makes a difference, or I could look if there is a single unit present in game already which has a charge animation when not being in formation.
Either way it will need a bit off testing.

I turned the MD off the EngPike upside down and added some strings to it to test functionality. I build it in the image off the RusPar.MD

If you want to have a look see attachments below.
EngPike4.MD has the explanation with it. EngPike5.MD is the same but with the comments cleaned out, for an easier read.
Never mind the balancing needed. This was just for testing and see how much off the C2 functionality we can get on the C1 units.(Pike in this case)
http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/BZIK/EngPikeyFixed.rar
You already know how to get these in game so I didnt make a whole Data/ folder for it, just 2 MD's and the .G17's.

WARNINGS - if one run of gold/coal/iron, and same time have units which consume gold/coal/iron there should be some warnig earlier (lets say when 500 resource left),

Seems like an engine job to me. I will put it on the list.

The bigger formation, the higher starting morale points. Implementing from C1 counter of kills for independent units and improving it - if formation is broken and only one pikeman with 10 kills survive, if we add this pikeman to new formation, at start he gives 10 kills to squad experience (maybe morale too?)

There is a secondary, or tertiary , whichever way you look at it, bonus system in game;
Look at the MD files in PikeyFixed.rar
There are 3 levels:
Normal - regular bonus (from primary system)
EXPERT 12 4 4 ( at 12 kills unit becomes an expert and gains 4 attack value and 4 protection value, obviously values can be changed
Next level is
VETERAN 20 5 5 ( at 20 kills unit becomes an veteran and ...)
I believe I can also set a kill counter into the unit within the interface. Think I added it already but its not visible cause I still have a bit off workon the interface, thought its a bit sloppy at the moment, gotta realign stuff and polish, add some things aswell. On the list to do.

Adding "Compact Troop"/"Extend Troop" orders for formation.

I thinks its possible. I already experimented with this when i was messing around with the interface actions. When i clicked on the button, the formation became much more compact than a normal square formation. But I couldnt find the button-action to restore to normal. I thought it needed a declaration in the formation files, but I will need to look again properly. On the list.

CANNONS - grouped in batteries with classic formation defence bonuses. During battles they should gather bonuses like other units

Never tried this before. However since C1 has batteries I assume it was set up in the formation files?
Watch out though, I think i read about a artillery hardcoded limit per artillery depot somewhere in the source. I need to verify again. So it wont be 50+ cannon batteries for sure. 10 or so would look nice though.

CANNON UPGRADE - "cannon crew excercises" - xx% faster reload.

NDS upgrade isnt it ? ATTPAUSE string I believe

ARTILLERY COVER - AI creating units which guarding artillery batteries all time. Or maybe we can add some shooting guards to newly created artillery (just like peasant & packhorse?)

I still need to explore complex objects properly. On the to do list.

GENERALS. New units - very expensive both in creation as in maintain, gives biggest morale bonus and additional experience to formation. Lets say that available only for average and big formations.

Right now I got a general in game per nation, but: he is also used for a VC_VICTORY CONDITION::KillTheGeneral, as a start option in random that is. Having him on a high maintenance and having him at generate at start will drain all resources ( if start with 1000, eg) in no time before any economy can be established.

Perhaps an secondary general then, recruitable from, say the stable or palace or whichever building fits?
Have to say, the more 'new' units are introduced, the more graphics are needed.

(coastal defence gun?

Isnt there a coastal defence gun in the Baddog Mod? Or was that another mod?

ARCHERS - lower attack points for flaming arrows.

Agreed.

As you know in C1 if musketeers and dragoons clashes they keep distance and shoot to each other. Maybe we can add option to charge on infantry?

Dont they keep distance because off the minimum attack radius in the MD and since the only have a rifle , they dont come near.

At first we have to change C1 minimal range of shoot (logically - if dragoons are on horse they can shoot to units underneath while musketeer needs, lets say, one lengths of musket to aim effectively).

Ah yes, you figured it out then. ;-)

FORTRESSES, TOWERS - fixing bug of shooting at own buildings, if opponent is hiding behind them

O wow. Hadnt seen that yet. Gonna have to check that. Could that be a friendly fire thing issue?

VISION - only officers have max vision range for infantry units, for buildings Towers and Fortresses.

You mean 'highest" vision radius right? Because there is no maximum hardcoded vision range.
And shouldnt a scout ( if any) have the best vision range? (Or a shipyard- Lighthouse?)(Or the General?)

TOWER, FORTRESS - adding posibility to shoot with grapeshot (read about it in other cossacks forum)

Never tried this. I assume its a MD WEAPON(kind)- thingy?

FRIENDLY FIRE - implemented from AC. Maybe it should not affect mounted shooters - they shoot above heads of infantry.

Engine or GameSetting in the CTRL+E Editors and can also be defined in the MD if i recall right.

17TH/18TH CENTURY UNITS SWITCH

NDS work, seems easy enough.Bit off work though.

HORSE TURN SEQUENCE - I like those circling manouvre of turning horses, its better than old Cossacks magic switch from side to side. If its animation matter, than case is rather lost, but I need to check it.

If i got it right, its determined by a UnitNameP360.g2d graphic. A proper full turn, not the 9 directions and then turned around.
There are also MD strings referring to this, ROTATESPEED , ROTATEATPLACE, etc...
I doubt you can use a graphic with 9 (180°)directions and turn it into a full 360°. needs to be tested.

I can take care of historic matters.

All yours.

CITY BUILDINGS – I was always annoyed of posibility to build so many Town Centers. IMO there should be only one TC which is most important building in base.

Yes and No, I already put a cap off maximum 4 Townhalls now. But 1 its too little. Because when you play victory condition destroy townhalls, and your townhall gets killed its over. I think one should have at least 2, one for main base, and one for a bit further distance for a camp, village, advanced posts,...

we can add upgrade which allows to build peasants faster

Already added 2 or 3 peasant build speed upgrades, but need to balance them a bit, its bit too much now.
One off these days I'll pack up a .Rar file with some stuff so you can see what I'v been messing around with.

If I'm correct there are four types of european tenements in C2. I dont know at this moment what are the chances to implement them as „playable” into game – if process is same as in C1 it shold be easy, we need additional BMP/TGA's? with frames of partial made building (maybe copy/paste from other buildings), and do some graphic changes for tenements of different nations (colour of brick, tiles, some little elements), I think its possible to do in Corel so I can do it with pleasure:)

I can draw those buildings at start off a random map, but i'm not sure if there are .tga frames for building stages in those buildings. But I never checked all those G17 ( Cache/*.g16) files either.

On average I mainly agree with your idea's and suggestions. Most off it seems very doable. A lot off MD and NDS work though.

So, you probably will want to get to know all the MD strings properly to see what is possible, which values are needed etc....

So look at the document below. It's a reference document I use because I forget stuff all the time. There's just too much to remember.
It's a work in progress, I'm not saying everything is 100 % correct. What I learn i tend to write down in it.
Some off the things you will have seen on the site already, some isnt on the site yet. If you learn things yourself or see errors, write them down in it or here.

Use wordpad++ to read it and use the + signs or - to expand or minimize sections for a faster read so you dont have to scroll trough the document entirely to find something.

http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/BZIK/MOD_LOG_REFERENCE-2.1.56.3.cpp

Well thats its for now.

I'm gonna wish you happy holidays and a Merry Xmas.

Best Regards

EbelAngel.

Message edited by EbelAngel - Saturday, 24/December/2011, 0:20 AM

BzikDate: Sunday, 25/December/2011, 3:47 PM | Message # 14
Baron
Hello,

Great news with national colour, because I already have almost 2 Gigs of extracted bmp's waiting for transfer to C2.
Thanks for files, I will check them during holidays.

Isnt there a coastal defence gun in the Baddog Mod? Or was that another mod?

Yes, there is, but itsanimation without cannon crew.

So it wont be 50+ cannon batteries for sure. 10 or so would look nice though.

Agreed with that.

About general - thinking that he can be trained as regualr unit in barracks.

You mean 'highest" vision radius right?

Yes. On the other hand, we can create specialized scout unit with best vision radius, and leave average vision for regular units, including officer/general. This scout could have attributes of taureg (e.g. not visible for guy who said warnings about approaching troops), superb stamina etc.

Well, the more you say the more I see I'm light years after. I'll try to speed up my learning curve at least with basic things.

Wishing you all the joy and hapiness, Merry Christmas!

Added (25/December/2011, 3:47 PM)
---------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

I got problem with your file pack. After copy&paste all files and strating game it shows me error "couldnt find TREES.nds".

Anyway, I switched your fixed pike with english musketeer and it looks really fine in game. Heh, I was laughing while reading your notes about units animations in mod log. You know why? Because I thinked about EXACTLY SAME things! I came to idea of 'little pike movement" for rest animation seconds before I read that you already implement that:))) I changed rest move to @REST 9 5 0 1 and it looks, lets say, acceptable.

Well I'll try to put things in alphabetical order - first I'll try to convert Austria pikeman and work with motions and all new animations strings from C2 MD (or maybe you already put it all in work? Yor're pretty fast in this job:). Then Musketeer etc. If we can add all units graphs/animations for one country, and everything will work correctly, then we can convert others. Balancing etc will be last work. What do you think?

Few things I noticed in your LOG:
- INVISIBLEONMINIMAP - good for spies, scouts? Additional costly upgrade for them?
- UMS_PRICE int type int// resourceID; amount // GameExtension.cpp would indicate this is the amount off resources you get on killing a unit. ( test!)
Do I understand it right? So if one shooter squad break opponent formation winning player can add to his resources, lets say, equivalent of iron and coal (bullets) from dead soldiers?
- I've read that 'Levels' (I,II,III) are unfunctional in C2 - so is that means that old barrack attack/defence improvements can't be added? Its not good news because those improvements were key factor of C1 war tactic.
- ABILITIES - Push All On The Way. I didnt play Alexander but maybe its possible to use this in cavalry charge against not-pike units?

EbelAngelDate: Sunday, 25/December/2011, 5:39 PM | Message # 15
Site Administrator
Quote (Bzik)
I got problem with your file pack. After copy&paste all files and strating game it shows me error "couldnt find TREES.nds".

Assuming you are talking about the .rar file i posted in one off the previous messages ( the one with MasterTest.NDS )?
I'm pretty sure the error line comes from nations.lst and my guess is you added the line with the new nation but didnt add a number on top off the file.
The top number states how much lines the engine will read, so if you add a line , you have to add +1 to the top number.
So if it was 9 originally then it becomes 10.
For some reason it needs to read trees.nds even though it looks disabled. I stopped bothering about why. Just make sure you change the top number accordingly if you make changes in nations.lst

Quote (Bzik)
Well I'll try to put things in alphabetical order - first I'll try to convert Austria pikeman and work with motions and all new animations strings from C2 MD (or maybe you already put it all in work? Yor're pretty fast in this job:). Then Musketeer etc. If we can add all units graphs/animations for one country, and everything will work correctly, then we can convert others. Balancing etc will be last work. What do you think?

Agreed.

Quote (Bzik)
INVISIBLEONMINIMAP - good for spies, scouts?

Sure, its used for animals now i think and maybe other md's aswell.

Quote (Bzik)
UMS_PRICE ...Do I understand it right? So if one shooter squad break opponent formation winning player can add to his resources, lets say, equivalent of iron and coal (bullets) from dead soldiers?

I' m not sure as I havent tested it, but im pretty sure it doesnt relate to a formation but a single unit ,regardless wether that unit is in a formation or not. So if one unit in a formation dies the player who killed that unit would get x amount off resources. Could be nice for battle(nations) maps.

Quote (Bzik)
I've read that 'Levels' (I,II,III) are unfunctional in C2 - so is that means that old barrack attack/defence improvements can't be added? Its not good news because those improvements were key factor of C1 war tactic.

No, its the graphical element that doesnt show up. Level doesnt really do anything but show a roman capital letter over the upgrade icon. (I,II,...) The level itself is defined by the amount off upgrades which are stacked up behind eachother. Each level has a separate upgrade line.
So the solution is to make icons with the capital I, II, III, IV on and refer to those in the upgrade line. The player will not notice the difference, its a technical-graphical issue, you just need to remember when (making) setting up the icons in the upgrade lines.

Quote (Bzik)
- ABILITIES - Push All On The Way. I didnt play Alexander but maybe its possible to use this in cavalry charge against not-pike units?

I dont know, but i think if setup it goes against any unit and dont know if there is an option to use it only against certain units(not-pike as you say).
UnitAbilities is a section I still need to explore more. There are so many options and tickboxes in that editor it can be confusing and a bit overwhelming.

I'm making icons for the Cossacks I buildings ( units) now to fit the C2 interface. The original Cossacks I icons are too small to fit the current interface background frame and increasing size in photoshop results in poor , grainy looking icons. So i'm making new one's. Also because I didnt know if you were already converting units- buildings and didnt want to do the same as you were doing accidently.

Regards.

E.A.

BzikDate: Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 1:31 PM | Message # 16
Baron
Hello!

I'm making icons for the Cossacks I buildings ( units) now to fit the C2 interface. The original Cossacks I icons are too small to fit the current interface background frame and increasing size in photoshop results in poor , grainy looking icons. So i'm making new one's. Also because I didnt know if you were already converting units- buildings and didnt want to do the same as you were doing accidently.

No, I didnt convert buildings. BTW how big are those icons? Do you make screenshot of building and then cutting sample just like in C2?

Well, I tried Pike in Skirmish map (I switched files with english musketeer) everything works fine in 99%. But there is one very strange thing.
In Editor when I add Pike from toolbar menu, or if I create them in Barracks, they 'moving' their pikes in rest mode (@REST).
But when I start normal game in Skirmish map they didnt move at all.
Also when I start again Editor without reseting game, and then create Pike or from toolbar or from barracks they also do not move. Its really strange.

Next thing is lowering on knee. Do you know maybe which string is animation for lowering move? At this moment when pikemans gets stand ground bonus, we got only one frame with already lowered pike. It will be nice if we can add few previous frames with fluent move down. Today I'll try to find it, just asking in case you already know it.

Regards
Bzik

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 3:18 PM | Message # 17
Site Administrator
Quote (Bzik)
Do you know maybe which string is animation for lowering move?

I think its #PSTAND4 but maybe should be @PSTAND4(if you are looking for a fluent move, but not sure there are many and since C2 uses # maybe it just needs 1 frame). Look in the ModLogReference.cpp Part3 References - MD Animations - 2D Animations- RusPAR.MD where i explored the lines. Think it refers to USERLC 9 (RusParK) frame 9.
Quote (Bzik)
But when I start normal game in Skirmish map they didnt move at all.

Maybe in game mode it takes a bit longer to go into rest mode? But weird when you went back to editor they didnt do it. Not sure why.

Quote (Bzik)
BTW how big are those icons?

The background frame for upgrades / icons in C2 is 56x56 pixels( Data/Interf3/Upgrade....g17)
So I make 52x52 pixel icons which fit inside it with the border.
I'll show soon.
Will also have to make upgrade icons. Already extracted pretty much all gsc graphics that could be used for upgrade icons. Most off them I already cut out and made transparent so they can be dropped inside a 52x52 frame and or combined.
Any idea's on particular upgrades you want to see? ( can still always make some later on or change some). It's just while I'm busy with icons, like to get as much off them done now.

Also, i was thinking off flagbearers. C1 doesnt have flagbearers and C2 only has enough for 6 - 9 nations. I believe the Baddog Mod or OC mod has a flag bearer for each nation. I think they are also used in Imperia but they could be different too, i need to have a proper look again.

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 3:29 PM | Message # 18
Site Administrator
Quote (Bzik)
and then cutting sample just like in C2?

You'v seen those in pictures already, havent you? You like those or you dont like those?

Edit:

First one's are the C2 unit icons I already have in game then followed by new C1 icons.
I count 160 C2 units vs 96 C1 units.

Tell me if there are some you dont like. i'll fix them.

Still got some work on some building icons, not entirely happy about all off them, Ill show those later.

Message edited by EbelAngel - Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 5:22 PM

BzikDate: Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 7:45 PM | Message # 19
Baron
Also, i was thinking off flagbearers. C1 doesnt have flagbearers and C2 only has enough for 6 - 9 nations. I believe the Baddog Mod or OC mod has a flag bearer for each nation. I think they are also used in Imperia but they could be different too, i need to have a proper look again.

If I remember correct flagbearers from Imperia are really nice. OC mod flagbeares are indeed different, those have huuuge flags. Need to check in game, whoose are best. If those OC fails, we can switch some colours in those Imperia flags without national emblems, and then add them to respective nations.

Well, we need also to think about national colours in few particular cases. Here are 18th century pikes. In C1, national colour have some shading so it looks very good, after Palitra change all shadows are lost. Final effect IMo isnt good:

So, or we leave it (not good option), or try to found out if shading is possible, or change other smaller part of clothes ,not coat (hat?). 17th euro pike have only sleeves in national colour and its look quite nice. But in this case (or spearman, or polish pike 17) its need to be someway changed.

You'v seen those in pictures already, havent you? You like those or you dont like those?

No, I havent seen yours, I thinked of original big icons.
I think they will be good. If you need some help with them say what and where.

Ahh, I figured out earlier problem with Gigapack. Dont know why, but when I got converted tga's in folder OutputDir of converter folder everything works. Anywhere outside - shows me immediately windows error and GigaPack crashes.

Cheers!

EbelAngelDate: Tuesday, 27/December/2011, 9:11 PM | Message # 20
Site Administrator
Quote (Bzik)
or try to found out if shading is possible, or change other smaller part of clothes ,not coat (hat?). 17th euro pike have only sleeves in national colour and its look quite nice. But in this case (or spearman, or polish pike 17) its need to be someway changed.

Hmm yes I see what you mean. How about that red bit they got on their skirts/pants? Or maybe their hat indeed, but remember how that looked on that picture on the previous page? And could the shaders be lost because I told you to set similarity to 4000 ( max) in palitra? Maybe with less it wouldnt kill so much off the shaders. I didnt think off this when i tried that other unit.

Remember that Imperia only reworked half off the nations. I dont think there are flags for all nations, but the OC mod has I believe.

Quote (Bzik)
Ahh, I figured out earlier problem with Gigapack. Dont know why, but when I got converted tga's in folder OutputDir of converter folder everything works. Anywhere outside - shows me immediately windows error and GigaPack crashes.

.lst file name should be the same as the folder name no? and the lst and the frames should be in the same folder aswell, right? Not sure what else you were doing?

Forum » Cossacks II » Modding » @Bzik
Search: