Forum moderator: [hwk]poppen, Ienzo  
Forum » American Conquest » Modding » Sword & Arrow: European Wars Mod
Sword & Arrow: European Wars Mod
peteDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 12:36 PM | Message # 1
Count
Group: Modders
Awards: 0
Sword & Arrow: European Wars Mod
The mod will focus on the European nations during the 1200, 1300 & early 1400. No gunpowder units will be available, keeping with historic accuracy. Each nation will have a unique unit historically associated with that particular nation e.g. England- Longbowman. The unique unit will incorporate an increased attack/defense ability.

Nations available (initial)
- England
- France
- Holy Roman Empire
- Poland

Game will be done one nation at a time (starting with England) which will enable me to get each nation as spot on as possible and testing each nations structure and game balance issues.

Game dynamics:
- When arrows are shot, a quantity of wood and iron is depleted from your resources
- When some units are created (depending on what equipment it uses e.g. swordsman) it requires certain resources to keep the game realistic as possible, e.g. coal is required as the blacksmith would need this to fire his forge to create weapons and armour, food is required to physically create and train the unit, iron is required for the weapons and armour the unit uses and gold is used to pay for all this, wood is also used on some units such as pikeman, longbowmen etc. as these units use wood in their weaponry.
- Mercenaries available, quick to build, but weaker attack/defense (this is due to a mercenary group not being loyal, they are not fighting for their nation but for a salary. Mercenaries deplete gold as they are being paid for their service.
- Keeping with original engine, 16,000 units are available on the map at any-one time making for impressive battles on such a large scale.
- Formation sizes are unknown at this stage, if you can provide information on what standard formation sizes for each unit type were this would be appreciated.
- The mod will keep the original morale system intact.
……(more info to be added)

List of units and buildings:
England:

Units (military)
- Longbowmen (unique unit)
- Flag bearer
- Commander
- Archer
- Crossbowmen
- Knight
- Pikemen
- Light cavalry
- Heavy foot soldier
- Militia

Units (non military)
- Peasant
- Engineer

Buildings (military)
- Castle
- Stone tower
- Wood tower
- Barracks
- Stable
- Archery Range
- Wall
- Wooden stakes
- Gate

Buildings (non military)
- Town centre
- Mill
- Dwelling
- Mine (stone, gold, iron, coal)
- Blacksmith
- Storehouse
- Academy
- Market

I am after help with this mod also, I can handle the units animation fine, its more the building animations I struggle with such as castles, towers etc. Also if anyone can do unit animations this would be massively appreciated and would speed game progress up, any ideas and historical information would also be greatly appreciated. So if you share a passion for this period of warfare, please help out and get on board!

imperator1961 at Civ Fanatics has been kind enough to let me use some of his units for the mod, I will only using a few, as they are too good not to use, I will be creating the rest myself. Now as Civ 3 only uses South, South West, West, North West and North animation frames and American Conquest uses 9 West angle frames (it mirrors the animation for the East angle frames) I am in the process of working around this so I can use a few of imperator1961 units.

Heres a screenshot with more to come, keep in mind that this is only the initial screenshot of some of the units, the quality of the image is reduced, the units will appear a lot more cleaner in the final release, I packed this unit frames with MegaPack on low quality:

Some of the units:

Message edited by pete - Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:07 PM

[hwk]poppenDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 12:51 PM | Message # 2
The master of Pike and shot
Group: Moderators
Awards: 2
need any help?

Non progredi est regredi

peteDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 12:57 PM | Message # 3
Count
Hey [hwk]poppen I certainly could do with some help, because I am trying to get the mod as historically accurate as possible if you know this period quite well (I do realise it encompasses several centuries and tactics may have changed, but a generalisation is all thats required) unit information would be appreciated and also the units that you would most likely see on a battlefield and thier roles, e.g. pikemen/footsoldiers where used to screen the knights when foot archers and horse archers would fire, pikemen could be used effectively against cavalry if used correctly etc.

[hwk]poppenDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:01 PM | Message # 4
ok.count me in. ill give u a write up of what i think is best. also are u doing all the 3d urself>

Non progredi est regredi

peteDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:09 PM | Message # 5
Count
Quote (|hwk|poppen)
ok.count me in. ill give u a write up of what i think is best. also are u doing all the 3d urself>

Thanks mate!

[hwk]poppenDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:16 PM | Message # 6
AHH i know those units. poser 3d models from the civ fourms? and making new units from them.i tryed that but i hate poser 3d

Non progredi est regredi

peteDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:30 PM | Message # 7
Count
Correct, poser. How come you do not like poser? Im not making new units from them, I am using a few of imperator1961's units and making the rest from scratch with poser.

Message edited by pete - Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 1:32 PM

[hwk]poppenDate: Tuesday, 05/October/2010, 11:20 PM | Message # 8
i just never got into poser. ive always used 3d max or maya. i guess it was because thats what i started with. and i dont like learning new ways to get the sAME result

Non progredi est regredi

[hwk]poppenDate: Wednesday, 06/October/2010, 3:56 AM | Message # 9
- be careful with the spear (use against enemy cavalry, and avoid that spear enemies attack you cavalry)
- archers isnt good in forest, trees etc. and you must avoid mele battle with archers
- you can hide your trops in the forest and surprise your enemy\\
Here are the basics:

The Missile troops tend to go in front of the army at the beginning of a battle and have the goal of damaging the enemy's troops as they approach. Quite often, however, you'll find that the opposing general has exactly the same idea and the result will be an archery duel. This may last for a long time, either until one side's archers have been decimated and get pulled back or destroyed (in both cases, the losing player will generally be forced to attack to prevent his troops from being shot to pieces), or until both sides run out of arrows (in which case the advancing tends to take place on both sides).
There is a reasonably wide choice of archer units, especially for Eastern factions. Generally speaking, the more expensive archers like Trebizond Archers, Saracen Archers and Crossbowmen will be stronger against enemy melee troops, but for the archery duel, the cheap standard levy archers can do just fine. Therefore, it's good to have at least a few of these. Depending on how much damage to the enemy army you expect your archers to do, you can invest in a large force of expensive archers (these should hopefully beat the enemy in an archery duel and be able to inflict significant damage to his troops, you'll have less money for you melee force, though). Or you can just go for a small force of levy archers, just about enough to keep the enemy archers at bay for a while and to use up their arrows.

The front lines consist of regular infantry. These troops tend to be spear-armed and with a good defense and morale value (i.e. able to hold off the enemy for a while). A few examples: Men-at-Arms for Europeans, Skutatoi for the Byzantines or the sword-armed Saracen Infantry for Muslim nations. Thematic infantry and feudal sergeants can also fulfill this function, as long as they're slightly upgraded. Like with the archers, it's up to you how much money you want to invest in defensive infantry. Be aware, however, that (with the possible exception of Saracen infantry) their goal is not to rout the enemy, but to keep him in place for you to flank him.

Behind and/or to the flanks of your regular infantry (sometimes even to the front, so as to cause severe damage to the enemy before the onslaught of your main army) are the irregular infantry. These troops will tend to have a lower defense, but a high attack rate. Often, they will be axe-armed and particularly dangerous towards armoured troops. A few examples are Axemen, Swabian Swordsmen, the Varangian Guard or Ghazi Infantry. Upgraded woodsmen can also do very well in this function. Depending on how good they are at defending (Ghazi Infantry and Woodsmen have quite a low defense rate), you may want to keep these men out of the way of archers and cavalry and only send them in to fight on the flanks.
The puropse of these units is to attack the enemy in weak spots like the flanks or gaps in the line. Depending on the type, I've been known to use them as a general reserve troop as well. It's best to only commit these men when the enemy is engaged, as they tend to be quite vulnerable to attack.

Your final troop type is cavalry. Their function is also to attack at the flanks, as well as to engage enemy cavalry. They don't tend to be able to hold out well in a melee against infantry, though. Some of the lighter cavalry units can be sent against missile troops during the archery duel, so as to turn the tide. Only use cheap horsemen for this, as it can be quite dangerous if it doesn't work out.
Among your cavalry you can also have some horse archers. These are excellent at forcing the enemy to attack, as well as for shooting at enemy foot archers from the flank during the duel (be careful that the enemy archers don't get a clear shot at your HA, as foot archers are stronger in a direct duel). HA can also be used to lure enemy cavalry away from the main action.

Basically I make these separations between my units:
Skirmish Infantry (archers)
Main Defence Infantry (spearmen)
Aggressive Infantry (swordsmen)
Skirmish Cavalry (horse archers/light cavalry)
Heavy Battle Cavalry (feudal knights)

Non progredi est regredi

peteDate: Wednesday, 06/October/2010, 12:29 PM | Message # 10
Count
Thanks for the info, appreciated. Have to keep into consideration what units get what upgrades, archer will get range and loading upgrades as well as accuracy, infantry will get armour and attack upgrades etc.

Forum » American Conquest » Modding » Sword & Arrow: European Wars Mod
Search: