[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: EbelAngel  
Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
JMDate: Friday, 03/February/2012, 4:27 PM | Message # 41
Baron
Group: Users
Awards: 0
- pontoniers, could build wooden or pontoon bridges which were used at that period
- miners, needed during sieges
- pioneers, could clean obstacles, repair and wider roads, throw wooden trestle bridges accros streams

Oh, for the ability to build bridges and dig trenches. I can see the trenches being a bit more difficult to program, because not only do you have to work out the movement rules into and out of a ditch and how many soldiers can fit into it, you also have to alter the occupying troops' vulnerability to gunfire and possibly even allow the grenadiers to throw their grenades into it, while at the same time allowing the troops to fire out of it and deciding how much morale and effectiveness they will gain. Perhaps it could be worked something akin to the mines.

It's things like this which make me wish I knew more about programming!!

NowyDate: Tuesday, 21/August/2012, 5:40 PM | Message # 42
Marquis
Awards: 1
I do not think that bridges and trenches are major problems there.

When we take into account historical facts where and when they were built and how they were used at that period, then it could be predicted objects implemented into the game too.

In C2 exist ugly and too wide bridges, but in these places could be implemented wooden or pontoon bridges it is only another textures I suppose.
Then instead one too wide bridge there could be build even two narrow wooden or pontoon bridges.

HEW mod for older ACFB game got some wooden bridges, however it are not destroyable now.

New bridges in the game could be build, rebuild, captured or destroyed in few important places.
These could be predictable objects build as stone, wooden or pontoon bridges placed in predicted areas.

Trenches also are not a big problem, because it could not be such field works as like these used in WW I and WW II.
However these type of field works exist in the games even now e.g. Blizkrieg game allow build such trenches.

During NW trenches were used only during sieges. It allow cover and move units close to fortification walls, but it were not used directly for fights in open battlefields. Napoleonic soldiers used trenches as narrow zig zag roads placed in ditches around fortresses. Then siege forces moved close to fortresses' walls and stormed breach in a wall which earlier was made by miners or siege heavy artillery.

These type of trenches and field works can be easy predictable around fortresses in the game. Then sappers optionally can dig something as ditch in these places which earlier could be predicted by programers.

There are some hard things because frosen or rocky and mudy grounds did not allow dig such trenches, but it allso could be predicted cases.
Some work needs movement rules, but now in C2 exist some rules for wide and narrow roads and terrain. Then movement in trenches coulod be solved somehow in similar way.

Voulnarability to gunfire could be predicted as covers in other object which exist in tha games now.
Hand grenades are not needed in the game, because grenadiers did not use or very, very rare used grenades at that period.
Morale effects and effectiveness could be solved as movement on the roads in C2.

Then trenches could be only rare and predicted objects and these could be more textures than program questions.

Added (21/August/2012, 5:40 PM)
---------------------------------------------
I lose hope in next Cossacks game when read some rumours that GSC Game Word closed their doors half a year ago.

Nevertheless there is a hope that somebody else can develop similar RTS game.
I would like to see even real mods to C2 BfE, but these should include more realistic warfare and include some other things which were mentioned in this thread.

Therefore there could be nice place to cast some ideas which could show players' wishes to future RTS game based on Napoleonic era.

Message edited by Nowy - Tuesday, 21/August/2012, 6:31 PM

raysky18Date: Friday, 15/August/2014, 2:56 PM | Message # 43
Esquire
Hello, in cossacks 2 is there any maps with 6+ players, i mean skirmish maps or any custom maps... and there is, i think 6 civilization are given, i couldnt find more than that!

EbelAngelDate: Friday, 15/August/2014, 5:56 PM | Message # 44
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 7
Quote raysky18 ()
Hello, in cossacks 2 is there any maps with 6+ players, i mean skirmish maps or any custom maps... and there is, i think 6 civilization are given, i couldnt find more than that!

7 would be the maximum, but not sure if such maps are made for Cossacks 2, since the maps are kinda small. You'd have to be creative to create small villages to fit 7 players in.

NowyDate: Wednesday, 10/September/2014, 10:05 AM | Message # 45
Marquis
Awards: 1
Hmm, if I remember well C2 maps are for 4 players. More players are hard to locate on so kind of small skirmish maps.
Every player needs 4 villages with basic resources and some place for his national bulidings. There are few neutral villages too.
Then it is hard locate more then 16 villages and many national big buildings which needs some free room.

Therefore Cossacks style RTS games needs new maps design and new basic objects. 

These maps should include:
- simpler, smaller in size buildings
- destructable villages and other neutral objects
- narrow-gauged destructable bridges, including few wood made or pontoon bridges
- better designed land and water elements, e.g hills, lakes, rivers, sea coasts etc.
- logically locate roads, food-path, bridges, trestles, fords or wading places
- less peasants, less fauna and flora useless elements
- some sligthly bigger pine or oak trees

All these mean that new maps design in Cossacks style RTS game is necessary.
There ara lot of work for professional team or company.

kirjasbeltranDate: Friday, 24/April/2015, 7:29 PM | Message # 46
Viscount
the maps should be larger, more settlements, player gets to choose his or her preferred map size, all maps can support the maximum number of players, it is also possible to have a single officer unit, ie a general to have at least 2 or more formations under his command, like having multiple formations under a single group, or better yet, these generals with adjutants are upgraded versions of the drummer, standard bearer and officer.. number of adjutants represents their ranks, and the number of units in one formation that they can lead, if not the ability to command a certain number of formation, ie a one adjutant general can command one formation..

WheelsDate: Tuesday, 19/April/2022, 4:47 PM | Message # 47
Esquire
Hi everyone, is there maybe a way to prevent formation stacking in CII, by setting some collision or by making the game distance automatically different formations? Such a parameter exists in EngineSettings.xml, but only for squads marching on roads. Could something like this, maybe with minimal distance, be set also for every other area of the map? Thanks in advance.

Forum » General Talk » General Chat » Next Cossacks game based on Napoleonic Wars.
Search: