I like C2, but this game needs many improvments. Some of these mentioned above ideas could/should be implemented in modifications, but I can not do it oneself. Probably I could build my own tactical maps but it needs time and so many things I can not do myself. It needs a lot of professional work and few modders too.
I try suggested for GSC that they can make modification or new add-on for C2 BfE and send them detailed suggestions there. But they answer only that they stopped modifing C2.
I am not sure what you mean by more realistic based tatic's. C2 has always stood out as realistic in this category? What do you mean?
I mean that military tactic, use of weapons and troop units implemented into the game needs some improvements which will make them more realistic and correct with historical facts. It include many things e.g.
* tactical order on battlefiel and use of weapons
- any units can not stack at the same place at the same time, it is well known problem in this game special in multiplayer
- units /special cavalry/ can not passed through ally squads, because in reality it could made disorder or loses, units should use intervals
- army should have more units and complex battle order which should include units groups as like regiments, brigades, divisions, corpses
- all fire arms (muskets, pistols, artillery guns) should gave lower hits on targets, fire arms at Napoleonic era had poor accuracy
- fire range for light cannon should be better, it could be near the same as for heavy cannons and more than infantry 'green range'
- grenadiers hand grenade should be taken off, they are at all unrealistic in this game
- cavalry fire arms were less effective at that period, this was why cavalry still used sabres or lances
- cavalry lances should be more effective against gun crew in the game
- more infantry units and more complex order are needed
- infantry unit shoud have new basic strengt, it needs less men (80 instead 120), this new unit squad could represent infantry battalion which will be faster create in the game and will be less useless men waiting near military buildings
- skirmishers marksmen companies (15 men) should/could use more extended order and open automatic fire, these soldiers should fire simultanously in pairs not in volley
EDIT: These elite companies often advanced in front of attacking battalions columns. Skirmish chains and column attacks French and later also their enemies used succesfuly many times. It was some kind of innovation in outdated 18th century statical line tactic.
- all infantry battalions should/could have option for automatic fire by 1,2,3 ranks, by battalion, and by files
- optional automatic bayonets fight is necessary too
- infantry in column formation should have new animations and balance, brecause in reality only three men rows should/could fire with muskets, next men drop behind can not fire
- ifn. column could be more efective in close combat in bayonets attack, which should/could broke infanty in thin three rows line formation
EDIT: columns advancing with bayonets ready to fight had big moral impact and enemy infantry with poor morale which had standing in thin line formation run away even without fought sometime. Experienced infantry of course can stop with fire advancing columns but it was not easy thing.
- column and square formations could be little bit bigger in size
- French Votigeurs units should change their placement with French Chasseur
- Spanish guerilla unit is at all wrong prepared and used wrong tactic in the game. Historical guerillas were not combat units, it were peasants, townsmen or even bandits which as bands harassed enemy supply and communications lines and occasionally marching troops. They used hit and run tactic, but not fought as regular units in open battles. Spaniards sometimes used on battlefield militia provincial battalions, but it were not guerilla units. Therefore Spain needs two new units in the game. One small guerilla unit (15 or 30 men) formed with armed peasants which will can harass enemies rear, if enemy came into Spanish land. Next unit could be as militia provincial battalion unit (60 men) which can fight as like regular units, but it could be as some kind of reserve unit.
- cavalry should follow up their advantage with horses speed and weight which gave them big impetus and force of inertia during cavalry charge. Charging cavalry should quickly destroy standing in line or in column infantry formations, and soon pursue flying soldiers.
Infantry needs form square formation against cavalry. Histoically cavalry attaking infantry in line or column in vast majority cases quickly routed and pursued flying infantrymen.
- cavalry units should have two basic stength, one coulod represent cavalry squadron (15 men) and next could be cav. regiment which include from 2 to 4 squadrons, with visible intervals between them
EDIT: - cavalry often used in battles two rows formation because it can gave possibilities to use man and horses in effective way and can avoid losses from artillery fire.
EDIT:- cavalry columns were used mainly on roads, because on battlefield cav. colums were as big targets for artillery fire which can made troubles
- echelon insted wedge formation for cavalry regiment unit is needed, in this formation cavalry used two rows men in each squadron and every squadron stay stepwise to next squadron
- new Cossacks units formations are needed, Cossacks formed sotnias and many regiments, they were little bit smaller than regular cavalry units. I suggest implement in the game 10 men for sotnia and regiment could include from 2 to 5 sotnias and one officer (ataman) and flag bearer
- Guard Black Sea Cossacks unit is too big in the game , it could/should have the same strength like Don Cossacks had
- cavalry and artillery should not fight in effective way in restrictive terrain e.g. deep forest, mudy ground, mountain hills etc.
- more artillery are needed on battlefields and artillery should form batteries, it could be from 2 to 4 guns
- art. guns should be pulled by teams of horses and guns crew can pull art. guns only on short distance
- guns limbering (attachment with horses) needs improvements, it should be more effective
- new unit, it is horse artillery is needed, this was faster maneuvered on roads and battlefield light art. guns and horse riding crew
- fire arms, a special artillery, needs ammunition wagons, these were standard problem at that period
* prisoners of the war, foregin service soldiers and reinforsment system
- POWs are better idea than total annihilation and killing all flying or waiting behind military buildings men, it could be optional surrender case
- POWs could be send into POWs camps, then few of them could service as legionary, mercanary in foregin service
- reinforcment should/could be send from military bildings, but not from villages, it is so funny when units in the game were reinforced in villages even during battles and even on past enemy territory
Other few things in this tactics, weapons, formations and units combat matter I have got, and show it later.
I like all of your suggestions for nations, But this is a Napoleon era based game. But all of these are good suggestions.
What improvements in internet play do you suggest?
About this matter I answer later.
Now I only suggest that it will be fine if we will have few more factions in the game.
In Napoleonic era were only few major powers : France, Russia, Great Britain and Austria.
Other states were more or less as supporters, past powers, French vassals, or British allies: Prussia, Rhine Confederacy, Spain, Poland (Duchy of Warsaw), Ottoman Empire (Turkey and Egypt). And these factions we have got in the game. But during Napoleonic era exist aslo
other few interesting factions which took sometiomes active role at that period e.g. Italian states, Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Portugal, German states Hanover, Saxony or even Swiss mercenary. It will be fine if they will be in this game too. Maybe not all as full playable factions, but it could be in the game as special, ally units in battle/skirmish mode or even as special sectors in Battle for Europe Campaign.
Added (06/December/2009, 6:26 Am)
I saw your post after I send my answer for Daddio.
Few questions posted by you were the same as Daddio had, and you can read my answer above.
I will answer you more detailed later. Excuse me, but I must going to sleep now.
Added (06/December/2009, 3:42 Pm)
I try aswer you and give more details there.
1. More realistic and historical based military tactic, use of weapons and troop units.
What exactly do you mean? Dou you mean that the units in game now aren't realistic or do you want a bigger variety in troops?
Units in the game are interesting but had so many mistakes and I show few examples in my post when I answered to Daddido. I will make more remaks here in next few points. Bigger variety in troops will be fine of course. At last French infantry batalions had 9, then 6 companies which include 4 fusiliers, 1 grenadier and 1 voltigeur compenies in one tactical unit, infantry battalion. Nevertheless it is not necessary and could make next some problems.
I would like to have smaller basic infantry units, mean battalions and could group them in more complex order.I know that Gex and Awar made brigade level for units groups in their Napoleonica European Warfare mod for ACFB. It will be wonderful if brigade will can be implement in C2 too. In dreams I can see also divisions and corpses under marshals and generals command. But it is so hard tu put these more complex order in C2.
That's actually possible to do, but the game would require a modified interface for that.
Exactly, however who can do it?
Working on the first 3, but please explain the 'new idea for town locations' pls.
In the game we have so many villages and so many various national buildings. Maybe instead all of these separate national buildings implement new idea for towns locations. Everybody knows that nobody build big buildings in few seconds. Therefore all villages and towns could exist in the game from the beginning of every game play and player will only unlock and occupy national buildings there. It will cost of course, but so many separate buildings and theirs builder animations will not necessary. These new towns should needs little bit smaller place ground than all these separate national buildings existing in the game now. Then player will can build only few stores and fortifications, it is mean towers, bastions, forts and fortresses.
This way will be less separate buildings and national base will needs less space ground and this way will be more places for open battlefields in the game too. Separate national buildings and their builder animations will be useless. New towns and 'old' villages will gives economic growth and dwellings for population. There will create units squads and reinforcement.
These new towns can include all national buildings: town hall, church, market, barracks, stables, academy, palace, small and big houses. All these elements can be locate in this town. Every player will can capture or recapture towns and villages, and this way he will can grow production, and will have dwellings for units troops, but it will costs and will needs resources and time for renovations. Opponents will can capture villages, towns and fortifications. They will not must destroy all these separate buildings, how it is now. Players will can destroy sometimes few buildings, but it will grow down towns productivity and possibility for creations new units. These towns will have more strategic positions, therefore players will defend or attack them.
Problem is that it needs more work and many new maps.
The new nations are surely doable, but I don't know about the new sectors in Battle for Europe mode / campaign. I have not tried to change it and have little experience with it.
I don't know about it too. Therfore I am looking for someone who have more experience with it and could help or even prepare few new sectors and maps. I can only suggest that it is necessary and can give advice which sectors are needed. It could gives more deep and interesting gameplay if more European regions will be in the game. I put later some remarks there.
6. Generals, marshals and commander-in-chief create in Academy buildings, all present on battlefields, and addition some new
commanders profiles with their historical notes.
That is possible. There is even a 'hero' system in game that would fit nice in with this class of units. You can make them gain experience, bonusses, battle awards,... Could even set up a game mode instead of destroy townhall,--> kill the general ,...
Yes, I saw in editor mode few generals figurines and they should be implemented into skirmish and campaigns modes as commanders of more complex unit groups. Then new victory condition could be set in the mode too. Problem is that I can not do it yet.
7. More troop units, include few of these from small nations which could optionally service as ally, auxiliary, legionary, mercenary
troops units and defenders of special sectors e.g. Albanian, Danish, Dutch, German, Polish, Portuguese, Scots, Swiss and other
multi national regiments in foreign service.
Sure, but who is gonna make all those models for these units?
8. More ships and specialised units: horse artillery, military and supply trains, ammunition horse wagons, wooden and pontoon bridges carried on four wheels wagons and more field works and fortifications e.g. redoubts, fleches.
Same thing, possible, but who's gonna make all these models?
Yes it is a lot of work and needs some professionalist. This is why I am looking for someone who could help there. So, sad I do not find any graphic skilled men who can do this hard job.
Nevertheless I think that there are some things which could help e.g. few units can base on existing in the game models, only change few colors uniforms, names and few unit cards will be enough. I will suggest where and what could be changed later.
9. More realistic damage system, improvements in range, lessen accuracy and hits from all fire arms. New types of firing for
infantry and cavalry units.
Please explain how you see this? (more realistic damage system, hit from all fire arm, new type of firing,...)
During Napoleonic Wars effectiveness of all fire arms was low and theirs accuracy was poor. Therefore army needs many artillery guns and infantry fired many times in volleys which could increase damage and shock effects. Anywhere shoot on target was not easy, special when men were sitting on horse back and enemy fired or charged on shooters. Melee and side-arms were still used and cold steel combat was dangerous, special during cavalry charge. These factors should be more historical accurate and should include them in this game. Units should have new balance. I suggest implement new damage statistic too. Developers or modders should change muskets damage ratio from this:
Range (in piksel) 0 50 100 150 200 250 300 350
Demage (%) 100 85 70 55 51 47 43 39
Range (in piksel) 400 450 500 550 650 700 750 900
Demage (%) 35 31 27 19 15 13 10 10
to this new damage ratio:
Range (in piksel) 0 50 100 150 200 250 300 350
Demage (%) 100 70 55 40 36 32 28 24
Range (in piksel) 400 450 500 550 650 700 750 900
Demage (%) 20 16 12 5 5 5 5 5
They also could change units statistics and balance.
* muskets accuracy and fire power grow less:
- for line infantry (musketeer, fusilier etc) - 20 points
- for light infantry (borderman, highlander, janissaries, voltigeur etc.) - 30 points
- for grenadiers - 20 points
- for sappers, pioneers etc. - 20 points
- for cavalry carbines - 100 (hundred) points
- for cavalry pistols - 20 points
* hussars muskets fire power grow up 20 points
* grenadiers should not throw any hand grenades
* cold steel cavalry weapons (lance, broadsword, and saber) power grow up 5 points
* cavalry charge bonus grow up + 5 points
* infantry column bayonets charge bonus grow up + 2 points
* war engineers (sappers, pioneers etc.) barrels fire power grow up 20 points
* artillery guns, special for howitzer accuracy and fire power grow less more than 20 points
Artillery guns had poor accuracy at long range at that period and maybe in the game this guns should hit on target one time on five shots. Only at short range and in exceptional cases at long range can hit better.
* lengthen range for light artillery guns - it should be much more longer than “green range”
for infantry muskets and it could be near the same range as like heavy cannons have.
Range for light cannons existing in the game should be lengthen out and it should be near the same range like heavy cannons have.
Light artillery guns had long range, it were more than infantry muskets range at that period. Light cannons 4 or 6-pounders for cannonballs shot had range c.a. 1200-1800 m, heavy guns for cannonballs shot 1800-2400 m, but at that range accuracy was very poor. Efficient range for light guns for cannonballs shot were c.a. 700-800 m, and for heavy guns for cannonballs 800-900 m. Effective range for canister shots were near the same for light and heavy cannons and had 300-500 m. Muskets effective range were near two hundred paces it is less then 100 m and even at this range hits on targets usually were low. Therefore infantry try increase shock factor and fired in volleys. Nevertheless at last they used theirs bayonets too.
Increase artillery guns limit.
Artillery guns were dangerous but had poor accuracy and low rate of fire at that period. That’s way army needs so many guns on battlefield which fired many times on enemy. Army used many muskets and guns, and needs ammunition wagons on battlefield. Therefore increase guns limit create in one artillery depot to minimum 12 guns and include ammunition wagons in the game too. Artillery guns should have possibilities to create artillery battery too.
All units should have possibility to use automatic fire, not only artillery. Infantry battalions should have few types of firing – one by ranks, others by battalion, and by files (tiralleurs). Therefore these abillities for infantry units and new buttons for these mentioned types of firing R, B, T available for automatic fire are necessary there. Player will give orders for advance or defend positions and units will automatic start fire when they will can see enemy units troops. New formed units will can open fire at green range, experienced will can start fire at yellow range. Red range will gives biggest hits on targets, if enemy will still advance.
Cavalry used firearms in two ways: individually or by squadrons. Firing by squadrons was not easy thing. Therefore cavalry still used cold steel weapons which could be more effective in cavalry battles and were preferred in cavalry charges. Firearms were given to the cavalry mainly to use in occasions and it could be more visible in the game.
These changes could make battles more realistic. Infantry and cavalry muskets will have less damage and cold steel combat will be more dangerous and light artillery could fire in longer range, but all fire arms should have poorer accuracy. Then units will can lead longer fire combats and will advance to cold steel and sometimes they will can withdraw or will flee.
10.Units manoeuvrability and artillery transportation.
Do you mean you want more limber to carry your cannons? If so, that's easily doable.
No, I need improvments there e.g. in guns limbering, becouse it is not effective now. Guns are so hard attached with limbers sometimes, gun and limbers silly cirkling around, and when you try unhook them guns even jump somewere in some cases.
Therefore some improvements for units manoeuvrability are necessary in the game.
It should include that artillery and cavalry can not manoeuvred in efficient way in hard terrain e.g. deep forest, high mountains, boggy ground and these can be more visible in the game. These troops also can not go like blind men to the enemy lines, how it is in the game now. If they see enemy troop units, they should stop and wait for support. Infantry units in the game have this skills, why cavalry and artillery units can not?
Next nervous and spoiled in the game manoeuvres regards artillery. Few examples.
When artillery guns change a little bit their position, guns sometimes useless circling around. Worse still in many cases these guns are hand pulling, even in very long distance. It is quite foolish, because hand pooling artillery guns was very hard and possible only occasionally in short distance. Normally for long distance transportation artillery needs and usually used horses. But in this game attachment artillery guns to limbers with horses have got problems, and sometimes player can not do it in efficient way. One more bug is when howitzer is pulling by team of horses and their foot crew don’t walking, they are stupidly rolling. Worse still, after detachment artillery guns jump somewhere sometimes. It spoils the fun and get on players’ nerves. Limbering guns must be more effective. Therefore some improvements there is necessary. Repair artillery guns attachment and limber control; make it more steer able. Maybe artillery guns should be automatic attached with limbers in artillery depot.
Do not forget also that artillery needs ammunition four wheel wagons. Without them guns can not provide long time fire. Army also needs many horse train wagons and provisional wooden or pontoon bridges carried on wagons. All these things make next problems, but these new wagons units should be implemented into the game. They can make the game more interesting and historically accurate.
11.Proper units’ uniforms and theirs placement.
For which units?
Units’ uniforms, theirs military characteristic and placement existing in Cossacks II game need many corrections. Developers could find good support there:
Units uniforms and units placement had many mistakes in the game now. In majority they have bad matched national facings colors. In Napoleonic Era almost each nation had their specific styled uniforms, and theirs normalized facings colors and head wears. Therefore units in the game needs right factions colors put on epaulettes, collars, cuffs, cords, lapels, pompons, plumes, saddles covers etc. These should be better selected and made more historically accurate in the game.
The distinction between various armies normally lay in cuts and colors of their coats:
• red coats for the British, Danish and Swiss in French service
• white or light grey for Austrian, Spanish, Saxon, Westphalian (Rhine Confederation)
• light blue for the Bavarian infantry (Rhine Confederation)
• dark blue for French, Poles, Prussians, Swedes, Baden and Wurttemberg (Rhine Con.)
• green for the Russian
Few exceptions were in these standards, reserved for specific formations as like:
• dark green uniforms wore British riflemen
• dark blue coats and white trousers wore British ally Portuguese troops
• brown uniforms wore some units in French service as like Portuguese Legion,
• dark green uniforms wore some Germans jagers (Rhine Confederation)
• green coats wore Italian Guard, while line troops wore white coats and trousers
• many different colors used cavalry units troops
Normally French infantry wore dark blue coats with white lapels and undercoats, white (on summer) or dark blue (on winter) trousers and black or white gaiters. Differences between types of infantry units lay in national facings colors for head wears cords, pompons, plumes and others uniforms facings e.g. for French infantry:
• red facings for epaulettes, collars, cuffs for the grenadiers and artillerymen
• dark green or yellow for epaulettes, collars, cuffs for the chasseurs and voltigeurs
• white and later dark green, sky blue, orange and violet pompons and red collars, cuffs, for the fusiliers which have not epaulettes
More different uniforms had cavalry units, but they also had standardized uniforms colors. Even colorful hussars, which had their style uniforms, used only few base colors e.g. French hussars regiments used dark blue, sky blue, grey blue, red, green and brown.
Other types of French cavalry units had more normalized uniforms. Their coats had common color, dark green for dragons, lancers and chasseurs, dark blue for cuirassiers and uhlans, and white for carabineers. Regimental differences lie in theirs facings there.
Therefore units uniforms, units placement and their names should be improved in the game. For examples:
• British Rifleman – this unit wore black shako and dark green not black uniform, how their figurines on unit card has in the game now.
• British Highlander – this unit could be as like Black Watch Foot Regiment or other strong Scots musketeers regiments in British service, and GSC can implement into the game another one Light Infantry Highlander unit which did not wear kilts, but grey trousers and black shako with red and white chequer-wise emblem around head wear.
• British Grenadier – this unit did not wore bearskins on battlefields and at campaign, they wore black shako
• French Mounted Carabineer – this was heavy cavalry, but never Guard unit.
• French Mounted Grenadier – this was heavy cavalry, but only one Guards regiment.
• French Mounted Mameluke – this was only one small squadron in Imperial Guard.
• French National Guard – this unit (figurine) should wore black hat instead brown existing in the game now, quite nice hat wore French Fusilier unit in American Conquest Fight Back another GSC game.
• French Chasseur/Voltigeur – these units should replaced each other it is mean change theirs position in the game, because historically Voltigeurs were sharpshooters placed in elite companies and Chasseurs were common soldiers which usually created bigger units - light infantry battalions. French Chasseur wore black shako with white cords, dark blue coat with dark green epaulettes and trousers like other French infantrymen had. French Volitgeur wore black shako with yellow plumes and cords. Their epaulettes where dark green. Look there please http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/napoleonic_uniforms.html
• French Grenadier – this unit had characteristic red epaulettes, cords and plume and any other colours there. Many French Line Grenadiers used from 1812 black shako instead big bearskin fur hat, but Old Guard Grenadiers still wore these big fur caps.
• French Sapper - should have dark blue uniform with red crossed axes on arm instead this funny orange uniform.
• Polish Fusilier, Voltigeur and Legionary – wore dark blue coats and black top squared shako (czapki), similar to uhlans head wears. Polish infantry used also black shakos, but only these units in French service e.g. Vistula Legionary and few other infantry regiments equipped by France. Nevetheless all polish infantrymen should wore dark blue coats.
• Polish Voltigeur – Poles also used marksmen, Voltigeur elite companies, sometimes they were grouped in light infantry battalions, therefore Poland should have two Voltigeurs formations in the game one as basic light infantry battalion, 80 men in squad and second one as sharpshooter’s company 15 men. This last one unit should have standard sharpshooters (jager, riflemen) balance parameters. Polish Voltigeur wore black top squared czapki with yellow and dark green plume and epaulettes, dark blue uniform, yellow collar, white lapels, poppy red(scarlet) cuffs, white trousers. Bigger Polish light infantry unit in the game could be as like Vistula Legionary unit.
• Polish Mounted Chasseur – never used yellow facings colors. They used dark green uniforms with red, crimson or orange facings.
• Polish Mounted Uhlan - in majority uhlans used white and red pennons on their lances, but not black orange chequer-wise how it is in the game now. Polish Uhlans used also in majority black top squared head wears called uhlans czapki. Yellow one czapki were shortly used only in one Vistula Uhlan regiment in French service. This last one unit could exist in the game as auxiliary, legionary unit because many Polish Uhlans regiments were in French, Italian, German (Westphalia) and Polish (Duchy of Warsaw) service at that period.
• Polish Mounted Krakus – it was strong fighting light cavalry formed in 1813, used as vanguard for reconnaissance and anti Cossacks troops. Krakus wore dark blue not light blue kaftan (uniform) and soft top squared czapki. However later they also used red and white melons on head and this one is existing in the game now. They were armed with sabre, lance, and pistols.
• Polish Sapper – should have dark blue uniform instead red one.
• Prussian Grenadier – in earlier period wore black fur cap with white plume, dark blue coat and white, brown or beige trousers not yellow one.
• Prussian Jaeger – should have dark green uniform instead black one which is in the game now.
• Prussian Hussar – could wear black shako instead outdated melitron cap and all black uniform instead yellow one. Black Prussian hussars uniforms were more common uniforms and I do know if they ever used any yellow uniforms.
• Prussian Artilleryman – should wore black bicorn hat with red plume, black-lead coat, black lapels, white trousers, black gaiters.
• Rhine Conf. Musketeer – better put into the game Bavarian instead Anhaldt unit. Bavarian infantry was common troops of Rhine Confederation. They wore characteristic Bavarian black helmet, light blue coat, white trousers and black gaiters.
• Rhine Conf. Fusilier – better put Saxons fusilier which wore black shako, white uniform, black gaiters. Saxony was important member in Rhine Confederacy and fougt in many battles e.g. at Wagram.
• Rhine Conf. Voltigeur – it could be Württemberg instead Oldenburg unit there. Wurttemberg was much more important and had many units in this confederation.
• Rhine Conf. Mounted Chasseur – it could be Bavarian Chevau-legers light horses which wore Bavarian black helmet, dark green coat with red lapels, white trousers, black boots.
• Rhine Conf. Cuirassier - could be Saxons Cuirassier unit instead French Westphalia.
• Russian Musketeer – could wore black shako without long black plume which could have only Russian Grenadiers, then these two units will be more recognizable in the game.
• Russian Jager – Russia create so many jagers regiments at that period and many of them fought like other line/light infantry battalions, not only as like sharpshooters. Therefore Russia also could create Jaeger battalions 80 men units compare to French Chasseurs/Voltigeurs or Austrian Bordermen units. Next one type of Russian Jaeger units should have 15 men hunter companies as like others nations had sharpshooters in the game.
• Russian Mounted Chasseur – Russian converted few theirs dragoons’ regiments to chasseur light cavalry units till the December 1812, therefore this unit should be created in later stage of game play and after upgrade in palace building on Tsars order from December 1812 year.
• Russian Mounted Don Cossacks - wore specific, more often dark grey kaftans and trousers and dark fur caps. They used much longer lances, sometimes without pennons. These Cossacks were excellent in small warfare but not so good in open battle and in one to one combat. They usually try fought with their number superiority and with others troops units support. Normally Cossacks units had less men then standard cavalry squadron or regiment, but they created and used so many units. Russia had numerous Cossacks units and therefore these units should be formed little bit faster and cheaper than other cavalry units in the game. EDIT: Cossacks used specific tactic, they often avoid open battles, but can made ambush and attack with surprise. Sometime they support regular cavalry attacks. They and teir horses had big endurance were hunger and cool-proof and can stand pain. Cossacks were used in reconnaissance, cover own army advance or withdraw, harass enemy communication lines and maintenacne.
• Russian Guard Mounted Black Sea Cossack - wrong name and too much (100 men!) in squad unit exist in the game now. Historical Russian Guard Cossacks wore red coat, dark blue trousers with red strap lace and it was only one light cavalry regiment with standard strength in Tsar’s Imperial Guard. Therefore this unit should have basic strength for cavalry regiment in the game.
• Spanish Guerilla – wrong unit and uniform have in the game now, historically it was militia and partisan troops therefore their squads should have less men, than basic infantry formation. EDIT: Spanish reserve infantry unit in the game could be as like provincial militia battalions and it could have maximum 60 men in squad. Next one Spanish unit in the game can be as guerilla bands can include 15 or 30 armed peasnats.
• Spanish Mounted Guardsman – it was line heavy cavalry not only Guard units.
• Village policeman – better replace this funny dark blue policemen with top-hats and put there another units e.g. weak national guard units which will include 30 men.
• Revolted troops (ex village policemen) - better use peasantry armed with pikes and muskets or use there other national units numbered 30 men in squads.
• Howitzer – this gun in the game is too heavy and too powerful weapon, historical in majority standards for howitzers were 6” and 8” inches and they had very poor accuracy, however it was still dangerous weapon. Nevetheles it cannons were common artillery pieces and howitzer were used in less numbers and in special occasions. EDIT: For example standard French artillery battery include 6 cannons and only 2 howitzers.
And it will be nice if units figurines for all grenadiers in the game will be little bit bigger (taller) men and sharpshooters (voltigeurs, jagers, riflemen) could be little bit smaller men than other types of infantrymen. These were requirements for these soldiers at that period.
12.Grenadiers should not throw any hand grenade.
I thought that's what they did, hence the name ( grenade~grenadier) ?
This game has some bugs and lags e.g. sometimes game play shortly stopped when grenadiers throw theirs hand grenades. It should not exist in the game, and at all it is still questionable that grenadiers used hand grenades with these big power at that period. Historically “grenades were cumbersome, tricky to ignite and only marginally less perilous of the thrower than to the target“, therefore hand grenade were passed at that period. Grenadiers were the masters of bayonets because they were tall, big and strong fighting soldiers, specialised in cold steel (bayonet) close combat. They are strong enough without hand grenades in the game too. Therefore remove this silly grenadier’s hand grenades off is necessary. Better increase artillery guns limit and grow up fire power for war engineers (sappers, pioneers etc.) barrels in the game.
13.Guards units also formed in barracks, stables and fortresses.
I don't like guards. They are just clones with higher statitics/parameters . I prefer gaining strenght trough upgrade/experience.
I don't like these guard units in this game too. They were at all wrong prepared there. Nevetheless Napoleon and other rulers of that time had guards (elite) units and they had their own barracks and stables. Therefore guard units in the game should form into lines in guard barracks and stables, and not in fortress. Guard units can be create after palace building. At last emperors and other rulers lived in their palaces and they had their guard units. Fortresses usually were used by garrison troops and these not ever were guard units. In majority it were garrison troop units.
14.Improvements in internet game play
As Daddio said, pls explain, what improvements would you like to see.
Improvements in internet and multiplayer games registration and connections should include few things. It should start faster, easier and do not needs so many steps and data before game play in internet. So many detailed information about player and so many numbers for key codes are useless and sometimes make nervous, special when player forgot this so long key codes numbers and password or still makes little mistakes in these data. Information provided during initial installation Cossacks II game on users’ computer should be enough to use this game in internet games. Player should start into internet game with one push in one button put on menu, without so many useless codes and passwords. Worse that if someone delete/erase C2 and later reinstall game he can lost some data and will can get some problems with multiplayer games. Many people are lazy and they will not go into internet gameplay if it will needs too much things. If game had some other problems it makes next problems there.
15.Sound and visual elements.
Sound, sure, but visual elements? Like what?
• improve sound effects e.g. make more loudly drums, pipes, bag-pipes, flutes,
• add some national military music e.g. marches, fine examples for voices, signals and music you can find in European Warfare mod for American Conquest Fight Back game a special for guard units
• make more realistic landscape textures and objects e.g. water, grass and ground, give more natural colors and facture there
• make some bigger trees, smaller /narrow/ bridges and also few wooden, not only stone bridges, few places where will possible to build pontoon or wooden bridges, some neutral towns building could be smaller too
• make possible to destroy few neutral objects e.g. few buildings in villages, towns, bridges and trees
• make possible repair/rebuild destroyed bridges and few interesting neutral buildings
• use another factions colors, so more I and many other players prefere correct uniforms fascings colors than these silly faction colors put on units uniforms
• make little bit lessen size for buildings, special French and Austrian Town Hall, Palace, Academy and some other national and neutral buildings, and special fortresses which is imposible put into maps sometime
• make little bit simpler or delete all this builder animations for building constructions and it could have less small details too, they are beautiful, but I and many other players prefere correct battlefields and units than buildings which require so much place
• put less number of neutral objects in terrain e.g. citizens, animals which should recede from view or escape from battlefield during combat
• make longer vanish time for destroyed armaments, buildings and dead bodies lying on battlefield, these things could not recede so fast from map, certainly not during battle, they give more realistic feel of battlefield
Oh, I have been written so long post. I stop it and soon will write next if you like.